Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i tried to do the diablo chip and ended up fring the ecu I got rid of all the evidence of the chip in the car but when ford was looking at it they found my autometer tach wire that ran to my ecu didn't think that would matter but now i have to buy an ecu I have found some for cheap used ones out of accident cars stuff like that they work and are garrented but i need to know if the ecu code has to be the same or does it matter i know i would have to have the same type of engine dohc and manual but is that it or would i need to find one with my lfq1 code? please help

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had the same problem according to the dealer, but they are trying to warranty it anyway and see if FORD rejects it or not. I beleive that another processor even with the same code will not work until the dealer flashes your vin and mileage into it and possibly your p.a.t.s. keys into it! Then again it might just throw a c.e.l.
What part of WI are you from?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
yes u'll need it set 2 ur car, the pats as the cat said...i 4get what ford charges 4 that, but after u find a ecu close 2 urs, ur gonna have 2 get that done. and the car will not run w/o this b'g done, so the dealer is thinkin cha-ching again.

-Ult

·
Registered
799 Posts
Pocus: What is the ecu code in your car. I have a cross reference chart of interchangable ecu codes. Feel free to post here or give me a call at 1-888-544-4626.
Hope this Helps.
Danny
DT
Cajun

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my ecu code is lfq1 the serial # is1m5z12a650sb
I think i'm just going to pay ford it really sucks but it will eliminate a bunch of headaches I've also decided to give up on the chip for now and get a race header at least that will give me a bit of performance and also clean up my engine compartment instead of looking at the thing that looks like something a dog crapped out I would still like to see that list though thanks for all the help

·
Registered
110 Posts
Cajun, would you please explain how and why Diablo chips, (mine and pocus) are burning out our ecm's? I have installed many (30+) superchips in otherr peoples cars and my first install of a Diablo on my car and the processor is fried? Yes, I use a static strap and static guard spray whenever I touch a ecm. I thought at first it was because I installed a LFQ1 on a PBM1 processor but Diablo told me LFQ1 would work just fine as they did'nt have a program for PBM1 yet, any opinions

I want to be able to go above 107 mph and a raised idle is nice to get rid of the vibration from the solid trans mount.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Pokus: LFQ1 is compatable with:
ZYF1 ZYF2 ZYF3 ZYF4 ZYF5 LFQ0
Dave: The only answer that I have ever gotten from DiabloSport, was that the install was done incorrectly. Almost every fried ecu is during install???? Tends to lend a bit of credence to DiabloSports' answer. I know that if even 1 contact loses contact while power is applied to the ecu, possible fried ecu and chip. Even Superchips states in their warranty, "failure to properly clean the contacts voids product warranty". This is the answer I get. I understand that you have installed 30+, I have installed several thousand, never a single fried ecu??? You are correct that the dealer must install the pats codes into the different ecu.
Later
DT

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by Topher352:
Yikes... this scares me... maybe I don't want to get a chip?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">just be careful installing it and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm thinking I need a chip too - i'm stationed in Europe so I need to raise my speed a little . . .

So I order the chip and sell my focus for a R33 Skyline right? $$$$weet, actually not a bad thought...

Explain the proper way to install the chip without having any ECU problems - from scratch, i'm technically minded so don't hold back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts