Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if there was a way to completely reset your ecu, i know you should disconnect the battery, but i dont believe thats a full operating system reset. I'm just wonder if ther was a way to do this through my superchip or what, i believe my car would probably run better if i got the ECU back to the day it rolled of the assembly lines, no errors, safe modes.... everything. Probably gonna get flammed on this matter because im not a zetec wiz so, any info would be appreciated!

Q

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
im pretty sure the only way to reset it is by disconnecting batt. like u said and leave it disconnected for like 10mins or so.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Without a chip... you just have to disconnect the battery. The programming is all hard coded in.

If you remove the chip and just run it... it will yeild the same results as removing the chip... resetting and running it.

Just remove the chip. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's what I did. Got it off some site a couple of years ago when I installed my intake and had some problems. 10 min disconnect didn't do jack for me, but this worked like a charm:

PROCEDURE TO RESET ECU, TO QUICKLY RE-TRAIN AIR/FUEL RATIO CALCULATIONS:
1. Be sure you have your favorite fuel in the tank and running through the engine (after about 40 miles driving after a fill up if you changed grades or brand)
2. You may first try to use 87 Octane, unless you are running a high compression engine or you are at a very low hot altitude. This is what I was told.
3. Disconnect negative battery terminal and let the vehicle sit for 1 hour.
4. Reconnect the battery, start the car (don't even think of touching the gas!!).
5. Let it idle for at least ten to fifteen minutes, I usually let it idle for 20 to 30 min +.
6. Turn engine off, turn back on and go for a hard drive. Bounce it off redline once or twice in 1st and 2nd. After that, a wide mix of driving styles (fast, slow, medium, city and highway) is fine.
7. Over the next few weeks, the ECU will continue to learn, and any immediate drop in gas mileage (city driving) is
temporary and should improve to normal. Highway mileage doesn't seem to temporarily drop.
So, that's it.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
im not real sure why doin that would be any diff from just disconnecting for 10-15mins and reconnecting

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's not. There's no reason for 30 min idle times or bouncing it off the rev limiter. The Keep Alive Memory will be gone after a few minutes with the battery disconnected. The drive time afterwards is called a drive cycle. 20 min city driving - steady speeds between 25-45, 20 min freeway driving - steady speeds between 45-65. This is usualy plenty of time for all modules to come online

·
Registered
871 Posts
someone just made it fancy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Perhaps. I'm no guru when it comes to car modifications, all I know is a 10 minute disconnect didn't help with my problem, whereas the "fancy" version did. Or maybe it's all placebo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know its a long time ago but did u manage to resolve the problem of completely resetting your ECU to factory settings. I was told to flash the battery i.e disconnect the negative lead and touch momentarily the still attached to the battery positive lead. This apparently resets the ECU to the factory settings. Not sure how true this is or indeed if it works. Any help, opinion, advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve master reset my 2008 Ford Focus , but now , my car won’t start and my accelerator isn’t working … what to do

1 - 11 of 11 Posts