Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Edelbrock shorty header along w/ a Bosal flex pipe today. Took about 5 hours, it was a little more difficult than I had expected w/ the support brackets and having to reroute a few things. Everything fit together very nicely and no exhaust leaks as far as I can tell. The rest of the system consists of a Random Tech cat and a Magnaflow catback w/ a round silencer.

Review - The car sounds absolutely amazing now and the engine really feels much more alive. It has no problem revving to 6500 now, it just feels like the car is breathing much much easier. I would recommend this header to anyone. I'll try to get some pics up as soon as I can because it definately looks different w/ the heat shield.

[ 03-25-2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: FOKC ]

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nice, get some pics up, I wanna see how it looks
. What did you have to reroute?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
good u put that bit bout the random in, or else i would have said 2 replace the stock cat immediately 4 fear of killin it w/that new header...good luck

-Ult

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The OEM header and flexpipe were definately the bottlenecks on my car. The new additions really make the car feel complete. Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Originally posted by ZX3 Canuck:
Is the header uncoated and that's why it needs the heat shield?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the header is coated, but shorty headers chank so much heat so close to the hood that they can easily scorch the paint off your hood, melt your valve cover, etc...

I really like how they uncluded this heatshield

·
Registered
375 Posts
I ran one for around 6 months and have cracks developing around the welds on the engine side of the collector. Nothing major, but still happening. Have a new set coming soon under warranty from Edelbrock. Believe mine was caused by having many bolt on and internal mods and running hard without urithane engine mounts and twist of engine caused the problem. If you are torquing the engine a lot, recommend the bushings to save the stress on the header and exhaust system. Just my 2c, enjoy the headers, I love mine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Damn, I wish you wouldn't of wrote that ^^^^ I want to order these headers today... but not if they're gonna crack from a little stress. Let's hear some more reveiws on this header. But they winn on looks alone and the heat shield...jba must of been snoring, it's so shinny I think I see reflections of some trees in the first pic.

[ 03-26-2003, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: jay--zx3 ]

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do have the Z-Engineering motor mount and it does a very good job at keeping the motor from flexing so I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope the header doesnt crack. I also dont stress the engine very much, in fact the only hard driving I do is passing someone on the highway.

Here are a few pics that I posted a while back if you are wondering what it looks like and what it comes with.

[ 03-26-2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: FOKC ]

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes, it is sweet. Don't get me wrong on my earlier post, that is why I am getting a replacement because I really like it. I have ran it without the shield and have a white foci, and have had no problems. Shield is an extra measure, and a nice option if you want your engine to have that different look.
I have ran drag quite a bit, so I have put more stress on the part than normal. You should be in good shape with your motor mount.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Originally posted by TooleBox:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by ZX3 Canuck:
Is the header uncoated and that's why it needs the heat shield?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the header is coated, but shorty headers chank so much heat so close to the hood that they can easily scorch the paint off your hood, melt your valve cover, etc...

I really like how they uncluded this heatshield
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Odd, I had a JBA on for over a year and never had any problems with the heat. It even glowed red on the dyno.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Originally posted by 1BadEgg:
I ran one for around 6 months... ...a new set coming soon under warranty from Edelbrock.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">We are an Edelbrock distributor. When we call Edelbrock for more information they tell us that the header has not been released yet and they can't give us any pricing.
What's the part number of the piece you are running?

·
Registered
375 Posts
It is the Edelbrock Proflow Header part #4748. They have it listed in their computer for 2001 model. I ran into your problem at first when I gave the year of my car (2002). They were saying they did not have one released yet for the 2002. I had no problem of fitment of mine, as the zetec did not change over the years. Fire that part # at them and think you will find it. I called them last night and my replacement header was shipped that day, so I know they are still making them, or have a stock. Good luck!

[ 03-27-2003, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: 1BadEgg ]

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, whats the price though, I heard they were like $450.00. Does the heat shield come with the headers or did you have to buy it seperate?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Originally posted by jay--zx3:
Yeah, whats the price though, I heard they were like $450.00. Does the heat shield come with the headers or did you have to buy it seperate?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's the whole kit, headers, shield, brackets, bolts, line heat shielding, gasket, ... the works.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Edelbrock is by far the best looking shorty. I've got one. Prior to this I tried the JBA and Pacesetter, neither one seated properly on the head. They both leaked. Luckily my vendor has a satisfaction guarantee. It may cost a little more but its worth every penny.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts