Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took off my air intake today to install a new TB and I found an oily mess in my intake tube. I've heard that this is from the breather tube that is attached to the valve cover. I'm going to install a breather filter on the valve cover for that so that it won't be connected to the intake anymore.

My question is whether or not I should bother trying to clean up the MAF sensor. If the TB is any indication, the MAF sensor is going to be covered in an oily film. Should I clean it, and how should I go about cleaning it up? If I don't clean it up, will there be any adverse effects since it won't be getting any worse?

·
Registered
723 Posts
do you have to re-oil the filter on the AEM? are you sure it's not from over-doing it?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well, the oil from the breather filter should not be enough to mess up your intake tube. After about 10K miles, I had oil just enough to barely wet up the stock breather filter(=a small piece of foam)

As suggested, the oil might be comig from over-oiling the main filter. In that case, the maf can also be contaminated. But it is a real pain in the a** to clean it up...

By the way, I have the breather disconnected with a K&N breather filter attached to it for some time, and have no problems with that...

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I highly suggest the breather filter. The slight bit of oil also can cause poor performance

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, the oil isn't from the breather filter... it's definitely engine oil.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If it is engine oil, it must be coming from the breather hose. As far as I know, that tube is there to balance the cranck pressure...

I hope someone with better knowledge clears out the situation, as I am really curious about it...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your MAF sensor is not that bad to clean go to your nearest autoparts store and by some electrical cleaner in a spray can and drench the elememt. It will not hurt it, just dont put the nozle right at the element. Keep it about 6 to 8 inches away. Then alow it to dry. The cleaner should evaporate some what quickly. Since it is for electrical parts it will not leave a residue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts