Ford Focus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In MY '04 there will be the new 2.3L available to all folks in the USA. I think this engine produces about 140 HP and 145 ft-lb. Is a 30HP boost that a SVT provides truly worth it?

Is SVT going to make a change to their engine in '04?

To me, it looks like a premium zx3 or zx5 with the 2.3L is a sweet car for a sweet deal.

Comments?

zedex

·
Registered
152 Posts
If all you think you get with an SVT is 30hp, you need to do a little more research. Or in less nice terms, get your head out of your ass.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My guess is the next SVT will use an upgraded 2.3. I'd like to see a mid level performance focus, like a focus GT, at about the current SVT horsepower level. Then the next SVT could get substantially more power, like about 200-225.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Originally posted by biker16:
I would have hoped the SVT would have had the 2.3 in the beginning. there is mazda version of the 2.3 making 180hp in mild tune with S-VT.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I hope Mazda will put that 2.3 in the Protege.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Originally posted by SVT-STi-M:
If all you think you get with an SVT is 30hp, you need to do a little more research. Or in less nice terms, get your head out of your ass.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's true, you get a bunch of useless junk that adds weight.

Seriously though, I think it is a legitimate question... At this point in the game, horsepower is a big deciding factor for a number of purchasers.

Right now I'm considering buying another Focus solely for the purpose of racing... My current decision is a base model 2.3L, not an SVT.

[ 04-02-2003, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: OmniFocus ]

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by SVT-STi-M:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That WASN'T Very nice.

The ONLY thing he addressed was the engine.
An SVT Suspension doesn't cost very much to upgrade to, OR to Supercede.
Who Needs Leather Seats anyway?

Different Trim? Nice, but not a Necessity.
Big 4 wheel discs? Sweet, but once again not Super-Necessary, especially w/ 4-Wheel Discs being an Option w/ Advance-Trac. (Yes I know they're smaller, but they'll Still do the job.)

Anything else worth the current price difference (Retail), or the additional Insurance cost of those 3 letters?
I think his point was dead ON.

(Hopefully the newer SVT will see an equal gain in power, if not more, lest it lose a bit of Respect among Enthusiasts who see the option he mentions as a Sweet Alternative.)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Doesn't the Duratec 2.3 actually make more torque than the SVT 2.0? Something like 152 vs. 145, I believe.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sadly enough, I heard that Ford is not going to change the SVT's Zetec-based power plant anytime soon. Once the ROI pays off the R&D, I'm sure thrifty Ford will consider a redesign. Think blown Duratec!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just curious why are so many people jealous of the SVT ? Or I guess I could ask why do they let their jealousy manifest itself like this. Read the thread top to bottom and it sounds like a bunch of little kids who didnt get what they want so they are crying out.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
sorry guys

the new svt focus is going to be a 2.3L turbo...theres already literature on it...top secret though

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
[QB(Hopefully the newer SVT will see an equal gain in power, if not more, lest it lose a bit of Respect among Enthusiasts who see the option he mentions as a Sweet Alternative.)
[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sounds to me like not many of you here have respect for the SVTF anyway. For all the things that are wrong with the SVTF, the fact doesnt change that this little car has a whole helluva lot more going for it than people give it proper credit for.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Originally posted by TLP:
Just curious why are so many people jealous of the SVT?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's one way to interpret it. It is a pretty nice vehicle.

[ 04-02-2003, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: OmniFocus ]

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
The problem is that our little zetec needs a lot of mods to be more powerfull
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well, a simple headpackage and boltons take you to an easy 165whp, thats a 60whp jump over stock, thats pretty damn easy power, i havent seen a civic gain 60whp from headpackage + bolt ons.

Or you can build your engine, throw a huge turbo on, a standalone and some turbo cams and do 518whp like the FC/roger's car did. Not very difficult, i think this engine has alot of potential, and because it is so raw in stock form, there is alot to be had from it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by SVT-STi-M:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That WASN'T Very nice.

The ONLY thing he addressed was the engine.
An SVT Suspension doesn't cost very much to upgrade to, OR to Supercede.
Who Needs Leather Seats anyway?

Different Trim? Nice, but not a Necessity.
Big 4 wheel discs? Sweet, but once again not Super-Necessary, especially w/ 4-Wheel Discs being an Option w/ Advance-Trac. (Yes I know they're smaller, but they'll Still do the job.)

Anything else worth the current price difference (Retail), or the additional Insurance cost of those 3 letters?
I think his point was dead ON.

(Hopefully the newer SVT will see an equal gain in power, if not more, lest it lose a bit of Respect among Enthusiasts who see the option he mentions as a Sweet Alternative.)
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is the same lame crap that people have been talking about the SVT all along. I think another poster had it right. It's jealousy.

A better suspension? I doubt that. Can you make one that corners better, maybe, but I highly doubt you can make one that corners near as well while retaining any semblance of ride quality.

I need leather seats. They look sweet. If you don't fine.

Better trim, better wheels, bigger breaks. Yeah, none of that is better.

Insurance costs? Are you retarded or high? Sorry, didn't mean to insult retarded people. If your insurance company charges you more for an SVT Focus you need a new insurance company. My insurance actually went down thanks to ABS and side airbags.

As far as extra cost, there are SVTs for sale for $14,000 brand new. Yep, looks like a terrible deal to me.

It annoys the hell out of me that people think that the engine is the only thing in a car. Do these people actually drive? Perhaps they just drool over hp and 1/4 mile numbers while pining for the day when they can get their learners permit.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Originally posted by nazthug:
sorry guys

the new svt focus is going to be a 2.3L turbo...theres already literature on it...top secret though
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">so where's the friggin "flier", naz??

come on homie, spill the beans.....

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Originally posted by TLP:
Just curious why are so many people jealous of the SVT ? Or I guess I could ask why do they let their jealousy manifest itself like this. Read the thread top to bottom and it sounds like a bunch of little kids who didnt get what they want so they are crying out.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not jealousy, DISAPPOINTMENT!! SVT has traditionaly meant a vehicle that provided performance and used technology that was not readily available without spending inordinate amounts of money. MSRP on a mid-level ZX3 is $15,000, the SVT has a MSRP around $19,000. For the extra $4,000 you can easily build up the ZX3 to exceed the performance of the SVT, which many of the members of FocalJet have done.

Ford made the situation worse by debuting the FR200 before the SVT was available. I think that most Focus enthusiasts expected the SVT to be about 1/2 way between the the ZX3 and the FR200. What we got is, in my opinion, less than 1/4.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.