Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k essentially EGR removal and lower temp thermostat do the same thing, force more gas to be used, and thus making fuel richer, so what is the benefit ???? Can both be done without problems ???? Is it worth it ?? One more question, will soldering open the stock thermostat hurt or benefit me ?? Someone told me it is a possibility, so that coolant runs constantly, lemme know......thx

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
k essentially EGR removal and lower temp thermostat do the same thing, force more gas to be used, and thus making fuel richer, so what is the benefit ????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">no, you are wrong
u have a lot to learn there boy. egr removal does not help performance.
cars produce more hp as temps increase
soldering the thermistat open means the car will not wram up or it will over heat.

the best bet would be;
</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">cam gears. get the timing where it should be.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">cai</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">TB</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">larger fuel injectors</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">race header + good cat back</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

[ 03-18-2003, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: zx3 focus racer ]

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
"egr removal does not help performance.
cars produce more hp as temps increase
soldering the thermistat open means the car will not wram up or it will over heat."

Why would you say this to someone that is new to the game. A hot engine is not going to produce more horsepower than a less hot engine. Very true the mods he is talking about will not give him any horsepower increase but thats all you had to say. But what you said could lead a person that is not tuner friendly to believe that they should just ditch there radiator and fans altogether. Or that someone with a turbo shouldn't use an intercooler, because a hot engine is beter. And they really sudden't put that cai on that you sugjested because that would make it colder.

Really those mods just help the engine run a lil better. No real performance may be found in these mods but, there are many people that will say that the egr removal smoothed out their idle, and that changing the thermostat to a lower temp gave them a bit more performance. This is very posible because the less heat in an engine the MORE HORSEPOWER you will get out of it. This is because the fuel dosen't vaporize as fast due to less heat. As far as soldering the thermostat open i wouldn't sugjest that, just get a lower temp and put that in and if you want to remove the egr make sure you do a search about it and check all the lil things others have said about it. good luck

·
Registered
112 Posts
the reson the car performs better (if it does) when running a cooler t-stat. Is because the pcm thinks the car is in warm up mode all the time. Because the temp never comes up to full operating temp. in warm up mode the pcm directs a richer fuel mixter for the cold running engine. kinda like a choke on older cars. Just thought i would clear that up for you.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Originally posted by pocus:
A hot engine is not going to produce more horsepower than a less hot engine.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ahhh...but a hot engine (normal running temp of course, not overheating or anything like that) does yeild more power. Hot intake air is what kills power. Which is why Cold Air Intakes are used and FMIC on turbo'd cars...too lower the intake charge.

When I dyno'd my car it had been sitting out in the parking lot waiting for 30 minutes or so and the first pull was lower in both HP and TQ, but as the engine heated up during the different pulls the numbers increased.

A Hot engine = More power
Hot Intake Charge = Less power

W3rd!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank U pocus and belnaper, and focusracer1, altho ZX3 focus racer, U my friend may have a few things to learn, the ECU compensates for the EGR not running by forcing the engine to run richer, hence U get less gas mileage, and more unspent gases in your exhaust, that is the whole reason EGR was developed, so U could have the benefit of burning off unspent gases, like using 90% fresh charge and 10% EGR each time the cylinder is ignited with a spark. This is eliminated and you now are running 100% fresh charge. Hence the engine will likely runs SMOOTHER and better, I never claimed more POWER, read my post
. Oh and the thermostat thing is only allowing UR engine to benefit from constant coolant circulation, it will warm up it will just take longer. BTW you do know the waterpump pulley is constantly running right ?? So you might as well have the coolant circulating. I have seen thermos with a manual switch, but they must be homemade / fabricated. I simply wondered if anyone had actually soldered open the thermo, no need to get harsh. Oh well no hard feelings......thx for replying to my post

·
Registered
314 Posts
So, just to clear this nasty mess of a post up -

What is the benefit of eliminating the EGR system?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
the only thing removing the EGR does (from my personal experience) is smooths out the car in general. Idle is smoother, partial throttle is smoother, and WOT is no different since the car turns the EGR off automatically at WOT...

but it truly does smooth out the car nicely... just be ready to get used to the CEL

·
Registered
871 Posts
not that i would, but can't you just remove the t-stat instead of modifying it? just a thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts