Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about the possible pros and cons of gutting my EGR system. I know getting rid of it will lower my intake temperature because of the recirculation of exhaust gases. But the reason the gas is re-routed is to let all the fuel that did not ignite from the last cycle to finally combust, right? So will this have an adverse effect on my gas mileage? I'm confused as to the purpose of the EGR system - for emission reasons or for gas mileage reasons. Any kind of input would be appreciated - especially warranty comments because I'm already dancing that thin line right now

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you were to remove it how would you not get a check engine light. I was also thinking of doing this. Cause I am getting ready to change my EGR valve for the third time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i had a race header and flexpipe put on a while back and had the egr removed at same time and havent had a problem with my CEL except when i have the chip pulled so i can run the nitrous. the light will go out after i disconnect the battery but comes on app 50mi later. i have had the chip back in for over a month and havent seen the CEL since.

·
Registered
406 Posts
HMMM I got a diablo chip I wounder if it will work for me. what about the vaccum lines that are hooked to it? What did they do with them? I want to do this i just wnat to do it right the first time.

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
I have the egr system removed with no problems. you do get a better running engine, cause the egr is like a exhaust leak, taking exhaust and putting it back in the intake manifold.

i also removed the evap system with no CEL.

my intake manifold has no tubes comming out of it now

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The reason for the egr system is to lower emissions during a sniffer type emissions test where they read the contents of your exhaust. It puts a little exhaust back thru the system again, thus lowering the ppm in the exhaust. Stupid idea, I think they claimed it was done for cold starting assistance too. You won't lose any mpg, may even gain one or two. From what I've seen eliminating the egr sets off the cel in about half of all foci. It sets off mine, but then again, ten other things do too.
If you have to pass emissions and fail, keep it around so you can put it back on and go pass the test. No sense in buying a cai to import outside cold air, when you're putting exhaust gas into it. When you remove the rubber vacuum hoses from the egr, they go up to a module on the firewall, check to make sure none of the lines up there are producing vacuum, or just eliminate the vacuum line going from it to the intake manifold and cap it off. Don't want to leave open vacuum lines open to the environment. good luck

g

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think I use to see those "egr remove plates" ( can not remember what they were really called) On ebay anybody know were i can get one. My guess for my header is just go to a hardware store to get a bolt with the same thread and just cap it off. Is there any way to avoid the cel coming on?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well by looking at the egr plate I can't beleive people aren't just making that piece at home. Yes you can just buy a cap nut or whatever they're called from the hardware store, for the vacume lines, remove the lines & cap off the sensors on the firewall so they don't leak (try not be ghetto please) but leave them plugged in it will increase your chances of not throwing a CEL or just dismantle your dash & remove that CEL bulb
But he's right, keep the stuff just in case you need it to smog.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Everything sounds good and I will try it but as for taking my cel light out no thanks to many other things can go wrong. But I guess I may have to if I want to do this mod.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Has the motorcraft?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Don't remove your CEL! That bulb "completes" the circuit. The car may not run right, or idle right. I know on mustangs it won't idle right with the bulb removed... Trust me, I thought it was crazy too but its true. As far as the EGR block off goes, any idiot with a hack saw, good file and drill (preferably drill press) can make one. I made mine in about 15 minutes out some like 14ga sheet metal.
just remove your EGR valve and use it as a template and trace it onto the sheet metal!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you very much mr.squatch. Fortunately, I live in Florida and there is no such thing as emissions
FocusTrends.com sells an EGR delete plate for a few bucks and the guy that owns the site lives down the street from me, so thats not a big deal. Also, after putting on a early 2000 mani, I know all about those vacumm lines. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Just someething to think about, even though you don't have to worry about emmissions right now, don't butcher or through anything away because soon you WILL! have to deal with emmissions.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Im not an expert but this is what I read. The EGR system simply uses minute amounts of exaust gases fed into the intake tract to reduce combustion chamber temps when they get to high. When too high a temp. occurs,the engine produces a lot more CF's, C2O, etc.....

Introducing metered amounts of exaust gases keeps the temps in check, thus reducing emissions. I personally dynoed my Focus w/ a block off plate and w/o and there was a 1 HP difference below 3000 rpm and after four pulls I lost some HP from 2500 to redline. Yeah, my car idles smoother without it. I'd say, unless your stripping the car for competetive racing, dont bother. And your talking to a guy with a completely stripped interior as a daily driver. I have a dash and seats and thats it! P:S:-One year of tests and theres no difference in MPG either, turn the AC off if you wanna save gas.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Way to many old rich people here in South Florida to bring that crap back
One of the few times I like old people

·
Registered
406 Posts
Autozone has the Motorcraft for 2002 Zetec for $3.99
Ok motorcraft what?

also the to vaccum lines on the tube form the header to the intake what do you do with them? Plug them up or just unplug the wires?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts