Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mom recently told me of a big article in teh USAToday saying that high octane fuel is not actually needed in just about every car. From what I've heard of the issues from not running the rccomended Octane from thi sboard, this article makes some grand generalizations. Check it out for yourselves...

Why use Premium?

CCC

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Read up on your physical chemistry before taking that article to heart.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Or just physics...its Thermodynamics!!!

CCC

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Ford mechanic told me the same thing. He even said the additives in high octane cause buid up that the lower grades don't. I saw that article and it makes sense. IMO. I just filled up with 89 and no problems.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
I just follow what Ford recommends to use for the SVTF which is 91 octane(even stated on the fuel filler door) although I put in 93 octane since most gas stations in this area have that as their super grade.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Although I'm slow and dumb...Not quite that dumb...I just thought it was funny...especially the line about some knock being OK every now and again.

CCC

·
Registered
62 Posts
The article did say putting lower octane into a Turbo/SC motor was a serious no no.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
The Ford mechanic told me the same thing. He even said the additives in high octane cause buid up that the lower grades don't.
The only time a higher octane is not needed is when the engine is not designed for it to be used.

Example, the SVTF is desgined for it: High Compression and aggressive timing.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I am not going to use 87 octane in my turbo car. I don't trust the ford knock controll system. Hay CCC, I hope you not going to try running 87 octane with a turbo.
Heheh... ka-boom

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
That article is focused more on people whos cars don't require higher octane. People believe that higher octane gas is a "treat" for their car or will give them higher performance.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats what i thought too...but they talked to Porche to elude to no car, not even on eof the world most reknown sports cars needs premium. That damn article is gonna make our pricees go up, cause their sales will go down!!!

CCC

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Higher octane = slower to burn = less chance for detonation/pre-ignition.

On a car that is designed to run regular fuel, premium offers no advantages over regular except for possibly a little more additives. If you're worried about them, drop a can of fuel injector cleaner in at every oil change.

Cars like the SVTF and a lot of higher output engines require premium to make their rated power. Because of higher compression ratios and more aggressive timing, lower octane fuel can ignite before the ignition system sets it off (pre-ignition) or light off all at once in an uncontrolled burn (detonation), both of which can be very bad on an engine. The SVTF can run on lower octane, but the engine computer is going to see knock and try to fix it by retarding timing. This will cause the engine to run less efficiently and over a long period of time might cause damage since it’s not entirely effective. Even knock you can't hear can be beating up and putting a lot of stress on the rod/crank bearings and other internal components.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...but they talked to Porche to elude to no car, not even on eof the world most reknown sports cars needs premium....

CCC
?????
If you're average Joe Schmoe Camry driver read that, they'd be like "Oh if a fast ass super Porsche can use regular, then why would I use anything else in my Camry"...thats what i was saying.

CCC

·
Registered
340 Posts
i cant believe they publish this trash. just read...
"And today's engines designed for premium run fine on regular, too, their makers say, though power declines slightly."
maybe in some parts of the country, that can fly. but not here. the air temperature before it even reaches your car is about 120deg. detonation city.
and then they go on to talk about the "highly evolved" knock sensors. if anyone here reads Sport Compact Car mag, you know about the knock problems they had in their SE-R Spec V rally car. The damn thing retarded timing across the board at the slightest though of knock.
and then when you bring it in to the dealer because it's knocking, do you really think the fact that you're not following the owners manual will make them all cheery about giving warranty coverage? the article says they can't deny coverage, but there's a big f-ing sign at my dealer saying they'll deny coverage if you dont keep up maintenance, so i'm sure they could consider fuel type part of that. how stupid can these people be?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts