Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you will already know of this but I just discovered it while cleaning my ITG panel filter this morning.

I have a K&N Cone ( part # 0940 ) for my SHO that I'm currently not using. I cleabed the filter and set it up for storage. While nosing around the car I decided to see if this filter would fit on the Focus somehow. Luckily, it did, better than it does for the SHO in fact!

First, I removed the upper air box from the MAF using a torx headed screw driver, sorry I do not knwo the size, T25 I think...

The 0940 has a metal ring that the throat of the MAF very snugly fits in to. This will take a bit of elbow greas although I suspect a thin layer of lubricant would make this easier to put on. There is nothing to bolt down, the filer and MAF fit so tightly there simply is no need. I left the bottom part of the air box on so that I can quickly swap out the cone for the stock box since I autocross and want to keep the car in G-Stock.

The end result isn't beautiful, but its very inexpensive ( I paid 40 bux for the cone ) and sounds SWEET!

Driving revealed a minor increase in performance but it's cool this morning, I bet heat will slow it down some. With the hood open it has that turbo-like sucking noise, and when driving it takes on that nice roar.

Here's what it looks like now, be aware that my filter is over 2 years old now.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Bring that torx with you when you come out for your G-stock lesson.
I've got 2 extra cone filters from my Mustang and we'll see if they'll fit.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Be careful in the TX heat. I was using my short ram this summer, and my cel came on. It was due to the intake air temp being too high. Just a warning for ya. But, that is a nice set up for little dough!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just wanted to add that I recently did the same thing, except I measured and ordered one specifically for the Focus. I used part # RU-2710 or RC-2710 depending on if you want chrome or rubber top. If you go through the K&N link to Martel Bros online, you get free shipping on orders $35 and up, luckily the filter is like 35.27 for chrome (even comes with the clamp). Anyway, here's the pic and I completely agree about the fitment. I had planned on fabbing up some mounts but there is no need as it fits beautifully in the stock airbox and it's an easy swap back to stock. Later

1 - 4 of 4 Posts