Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts
looks like someone put a starter motor with a pulley on a good blower there. but i agree it looks promising. wheres roro this screams project aveo

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
pipe dreeeeeeeam

wasn't there some issue a ways back with that Knight guy?

if electric superchargers were feasible, don't you think they'd be on cars?

·
Cantankerous Quacker
3,515 Posts
If you already have a centrifugal blower, intake and pulleys, then why put an electric motor on the thing? All the hardware is there to belt drive it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
lol, sorry guys, it doesn't matter how good the blower is or what kind of motor is installed, its a problem of power requirements for teh compressor.

heres a calc i did a few months ago, using stuff i learned in thermodynamics (ideal compression of air etc.)

well im pretty sure you are joking, but just in case you aren't, i would point out that the compressor power needed to produce intake pressures as low as 2 psi for even a small engine is more power than the electrical system of the car can deliver. i just did a power requirement calc based on ideal compression, and to supply 105 cfm of air (about what the 2L engine uses at 3000 rpm) at 2 psi pressure, the compressor would require 7.85 kW of power.

im pretty sure the 12 volt power systems cannot supply that much power, that would be 650 amps at 12 volts. sorry, not happenin.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
This supercharger was custom built by Thomas (Geoff) Night and Kight Automotive
run far far away.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Knight=crap

·
Registered
167 Posts
This isnt crap, it was developed by Knight Automotive a company under the Knight Industries umbrella, which was founded in 1982 and run by Michael Knight. It was actually the heart and soul of there first R&D project named the Knight Industries Two Thousand (KITT for short) Man...youi shoulda seen that thing fly.

·
Registered
314 Posts
lol, sorry guys, it doesn't matter how good the blower is or what kind of motor is installed, its a problem of power requirements for teh compressor.

heres a calc i did a few months ago, using stuff i learned in thermodynamics (ideal compression of air etc.)

well im pretty sure you are joking, but just in case you aren't, i would point out that the compressor power needed to produce intake pressures as low as 2 psi for even a small engine is more power than the electrical system of the car can deliver. i just did a power requirement calc based on ideal compression, and to supply 105 cfm of air (about what the 2L engine uses at 3000 rpm) at 2 psi pressure, the compressor would require 7.85 kW of power.

im pretty sure the 12 volt power systems cannot supply that much power, that would be 650 amps at 12 volts. sorry, not happenin.
Not that I'm saying that this would work, but he does say 24 volts and that the batt needs to recharge between runs...

it will fit almost anything up to 2.0 Liters at 24 Volts.

One Red Top battery is more than enough to power the supercharger. 2000 Insights have a 60 Amp Voltage Reducer, 2001 and up have 80 Amp Voltage reducer. So you can get 10-15 30sec. runs before the bettery needs time to recharge. The Supercharger gained 30hp at 4500rpm.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
well i was thinking, this particular unit is meant for the hybrid insight. if you were gonna have an electric supercharger, it would have to be on a hybrid car, since it generates alot of electricity to drive the wheel motors.

the only reason it would work is that you have enough capacity. a 24v system by itself doesn't make it possible.

the reason i think this particular unit is no good is the lack of info and outright misinformation.

there is no data for that electric motor(how much power etc) or the blower. it then claims that this unit could be used on other hondas other than the insight(other models don't have the same electric capacity, not even the same system voltage) and bigger engines than the 1.0 or 1.6, which i also doubt that the blower in the pic could develop enough flow for any bigger than 1.0L

of course, then you have to wonder why electrically supercharge a hybrid...gains on the (small)gas engine wouldn't be huge anyways.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

Redo your calculations for 42V systems and see what you get...

In this case, it appears they are using a 24V battery, is that what the insight ships with?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
looks like some pretty innovative stuff. Everything I've seen involving electronic superchargers is being held up by battery technology. I did see a test in a magazine of an electronic supercharging system and the results were pretty good. The only problem was the 3-4 batteries it ran off of needed to be recharged for ten minutes after every use through an included charger.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Formula is: P=IE where P=power(watts), I=Current(amps), E-volts. Solving for Amps: I=P/E

Using 78500 watts (7.85 KW)

7850/12 = 654 amps

7850/24 = 327 amps

7850/42 = 186.9 amps

Based on this you might be able to use a multiple battery setup in either 24 or 42 volts for short bursts but then would have to drive around for several hours to charge the batteries back up before you could use it again.

Just because someting is theoretically possible doesn't mean that it is practical!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts