Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i been tearing my tranny apart, installed my headers and went to start up my car. It wouldnt start, you could just hear the relay clickin over so i thought dead battery since i was listenin to the radio the whole time.

Get a friend truck and some cable hook the cables up to him, hook the negative to the forward engine lift hook on my car then the positive to the positve, immediatly the negative starts to weld it self and glow red hot and one of the teeth on the jumper cables melted. disconnected the negative and tried reconnecting the negative and it was a shower of sparks.

Sine i had the tranny mount and everything out i connected the battery back up and kinda set it in there hangin by the battery cables ( ya i know im stupid)

Sounds like something came loose and is shorting, am i right? any ideas?

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
Probably the pos. wire to the starter is grounding out somewhere. Check at the starter, it may be a little hard to see, but considering your recent tranny work, it's the first place I would look.

·
Registered
657 Posts
there is a loop that conects the lead wire to the top bolt of the starter mine did the same thing... follow it down and you cant miss it ,prob is the wire is so short that it is hard to get it bolted up right.and if you broke the plastic cover on it it could be grounding out on the block...hope this helps

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured it out. not gonna say exactly what it was just put it this way

Dont jump start a car when your drunk.

that is all lol

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i will say, the sparks were really cool, lol almost makes me wanna go grab a battery outta a junkyard and have some fun

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Probably the pos. wire to the starter is grounding out somewhere. Check at the starter, it may be a little hard to see, but considering your recent tranny work, it's the first place I would look.
If he had a positive wire grounding out he'd have two things happen: Sparks and blown fuses.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh there were lots of sparks, it lit up the entire car at night.

Just remember dont jump start a vehicle under the influence of alcahol. And if you must ensure the polarity of the cables on the donor car is correct

·
Registered
489 Posts
oh no man....are you ok? Did you fill out a mishap report?

BBBBUUUNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
oh no man....are you ok? Did you fill out a mishap report?

BBBBUUUNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, but I think he had to do an After Actions Report.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i should be ok i hat my aetc form 401 or whatever, the high risk activities form so i should be good

·
Registered
139 Posts
What is sad, is that you have to carry that form with everything that you do....
You are always at high risk when doing anything but breathing and that can be dangerous at times.

Man I hope you get your car back up and going for the end of the summer/fall. I want to see how well it runs and hear how it sounds

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its running right now, loud as piss with the muffler, insane pull up top, just afraid to shift hard with that welded arm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts