Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in California and knowing that sooner or later I will have to get my car smoged every other year has prompted me to ask this question.

If I start messing with bolt-ons,race headers, ported and milled heads,cams and all the naturally aspirated goodies.
Will I be able to pass a sniffer test, if I reinstall my stock exhaust manifold,cat and remove the chip? ...maybe even the stock air filter box?

Just a concern before I decide which route to take - mild everyday street legal or all-out power(occasionaly legal)

Thanks

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you take it off, hold on to your EGR. keep all your stock external stuff unless you go street header & high flow cat like I'm doing. You'll also need to remove your chip when you go in, which is why I love my Diablo. Cops like to harrass you about this stuff so if you get in any trouble let me know I have a lawyer fighting one right now. I also know a smog tech just in case but you better be willing to drive

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I once knew of a smog tech that could do this for me - but it has become so expensive. It would be easier to reinstall a manifold/cat if it would pass this way.
Anybody know?

·
Registered
556 Posts
It should all be fine but just in case I know a way you can pass
just hit me up when you need. But you will need to have the cat on & make it look ok so keep your stock stuff.
As long as you keep your stock stuff we can get it to pass.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
will the diablo chip affect the plug in test?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Have you California guys ever heard of "Platinum Vapor Injection" (PVI)? Puts platinum into the intake and has a similar affect as a catalyst, but it burns the air/fuel mixture more completely in the combustion chamber instead of burning what's left of it in the exhaust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts