Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put these in and when you guys say vibration you mean it, I had to take them out because they were just too rough, the vibration was terrible. After driving with them in I really didn't think they did much except get rid of the clunk when you go from 1-2 gears real hard. That is my take on them so take it for what its worth I guess.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I did the same bushing swap and I really love how firm everything is. Yes the vibrating is annoying but nothing I can't live with. To get rid of the vibration you can get a chip and have them raise the base idle to 900-1000RPM that should smooth everything out. I have also heard of holes being drilled in the large bushing. I'm going to have my chip reprogrammed though.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea well I raised my idle with my FC TB to 900-1000, but when I turned the A/C on it was just too much for anyone to have to endure, that load on the engine would just rattle your teeth out, and beside I would rather not have the engine rattle my entire car apart either.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
two 1/2 inch holes on opposing sides of the bushing. I did 1/4 inch because mine didnt vibrate too much.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
If you're going to drill the holes, WHY do the bushings at ALL???
I have Prothane, and the Vibration is minimal. Present, but minimal.
I can't imagine that the ES would be THAT different. Either your car is running roughly, or it sounds like "The Princess and the Pea" to me.

I guess this explains why they used the "Wussy" bushings from the Factory...

[ 09-30-2002, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my car runs perfect, I am just saying that having that little bit of whatever those bushing do is not worth having the fillings in my teeth jared out. I guess I am not willing to sacrific comfort for the minimal performance that some bushings would be able to provide.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Mine certainly wouldn't rattle anyone's fillings.
The Vibration increase is VERY mild w/ my Prothane Poly-U "Tranny-Mount" bushings.
(From Tony D at NewEdgePerformance...
)

"...having that little bit of whatever those bushing do..."

Do you know what they do?
For those who don't, they limit the flex of the engine in relation to the car.
The net result is more immediate power getting to the wheels, instead of being lost in the slop of the Factory bushings. (Which do flex ALOT. Try revving your car from the throttle-body and watch the Zetec Flop)
With my Prothane bushings, that slop is GONE, and well worth my 20 bucks. I can't imagine that the ES would be too different, but I know that my car's vibration is easily disregarded. My Mom could drive it, and not think twice about it.
I reiterate...
If your car is vibrating THAT badly, something needs some attention besides the bushings.

BTW, I'm not making this personal, just expressing my observations on what I found to be a GREAT upgrade for little money.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it doesn't really matter because I had to destroy them to get them out to put the factory back in. It might be a great upgrade for some but not for me that is what I am saying. I know what they do, and I found from driving with them in nothing to much changed, so I found it not to worthwhile, but that is only my opinion.

·
Registered
452 Posts
cough up some money and get the focus sport motor mounts, they are suppose to be a little softer and less vibration. i have the energy suspension MM and the performance feeling from these is worth more than pleasure.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i have them & i think it was the best mod for the money so far. no vibration even with the a/c on. i have a diablo chip but it's not custom programmed. maybe the zx2 is set up different than the focus.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i have the es mounts and love them. my idle is set around 900 rpm, just to keep the tb from stickin, but the harsh vibration went away in a few days.. minute vibration even with the air on, great mod in my book.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Okay, I have my bushings in, but the bracket is still outside of the vehicle. My 4.06:1 tranny with the Torsen is going in this weekend!

I'll leave the bushings along just to monitor the vibration. I can make the changes later if it is a problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts