Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can any one tell me what exactly is the engine block heater. i priced on up at ford and it will only cost me less than 70 beans. i would get a heater assy, a wire assy, and instructions. but what is it? please help.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
It is a heating element that goes in place of a core plug on the block. It is submerged in the coolant and it used to keep the coolant warm while the car is sitting outside in the cold. It will not heat up cold coolant and it does not act fast by any means. It's sole purpose is to be used once the car is shut off. You simply plug the cord into a standard household outlet right after parking the car and it will help in keeping the coolant at a good temperature to prevent freezing or gelling of the coolant and prevent excessive, cold start wear.

I live in MN and they are hardly used hear these days as they are not as neccesary as they used to be.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Talking about those we just had to put a new one on our car b/c it let go while my dad and mom were driving on the highway, What a mess
The clip rusted out and it popped out when my dad was doing like 120 on the highway and that is 120kph not mph
.Noresull's descrption of one is exactly what it is and we got one for 20 bucks or less not sure my dad picked it up and i helped him put it in.$70 bucks is steep are u getting it installed by Ford or yourself?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Unless it is in the car from the factory, I wouldn't recomend it, I don't think it's worth it.

[ 11-10-2002, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: noresull ]

·
Registered
317 Posts
I optioned one on my car when i bought it, but I have never used it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wouldn't get it, if I were you.
I live in the middle of nowhere and I don't even have to plug in my car....save your money.

P. Roach

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
They were much more necessary in the past when ignition and fuel systems were far less sophisticated - now, nope.

Even diesels now are to the point where they can start in deep cold reliably.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts