Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine \"hanging\"

Hey, I'm new to the forum. I was looking at other posts and you all seem to know your stuff, so I thought someone might be able to help me.

So Heres the problem: When I hold on the clutch or shift into neutral, the engine doesnt drop to idle RPMS, it remains at the same RPM as it was in the previous gear, sometimes even slowly rising. This happens every once in a while, but then goes away for a while.

Does anyone have a clue what could be happening?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Re: Engine \"hanging\"

I would start by checking any vacuum leaks. If no luck,
replace the TPS (throttle position sensor)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks. I do have a Focus Central 65mm TB in there, I guess something is definitly amiss with it.. You're probably right about the TPS, Once I figure it out ill post for others' reference.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Freaky,

My '00 ZX3 literally just started doing this today - was trying to figure out how to describe it, and what to search for. (-:

Found newsgroups referencing the Idle Air Controller (IAC) and DPFE Sensor and am researching these further.

BTW - no check engine light (CEL): can the computer throw an error code without activating the CEL?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Had the same thing happen to my car, replaced the TPS sensor and that fixed it. It's like $36 at the dealer, try to remove the sensor and take down the product code cuz my competent parts dept managed to give me the wrong model even with exact model & year and had to make another trip to get right part

·
Registered
595 Posts

Mine did it.... My Alternator was shot... Start the car and check the voltage... Easy to test and its free to check...

Now mine would only hit 11.5 when the engine got rev'd up... but normally it would only go to 9.2 volts...

So basically the engine was raising the RPM to make the alt spin faster to compensate for the fact that it was going out...

So grab a volt meter and go check it at the battery with it running... My advise would be to start the car and let it idle for a little while
(5-10 minutes or so should do it) to let things level out and see how much of a drain is going on... If that is the case...

·
Registered
1,935 Posts

Check out www.sportcompactcar.com

Look up project Focus(not rally focus or svt focus), read all articles(3 or 4 of them total). In one of them, they mention a similar situation and how they fixed it.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts

Freaky,

My '00 ZX3 literally just started doing this today - was trying to figure out how to describe it, and what to search for. (-:

Found newsgroups referencing the Idle Air Controller (IAC) and DPFE Sensor and am researching these further.

BTW - no check engine light (CEL): can the computer throw an error code without activating the CEL?
Yes the computer can trip codes without the light. ford calls these "soft codes" they are usualy codes that are not going to cause major problems. but they are anoying. I have got to go replace my TPS, and idle air control. Oh good call taking the parts to ford to make sure you get the right ones. my parts department told me they needed the actual part numbers in order to get the right parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts