Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems after my engine warms up, my shortram intake is sucking in alot of hot air and it really bogs down the car.
I can feel a big different between when i first start the car up in the morning then after its been running for a while. When i first start it up and underthe hood is still cool, it has so much more kick then when its warmed up. Would changing my ractive short ram intake for a bomz polished cold air solve this bog down problem?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a ractive shortram with the heatshield filter which doesnt really shield anything. Im not looking to get another short ram (volant, focussport).

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BUt i dont want to spend 200bucks on an intake, plus i really dont like the way they look. I would rather spend 45 bucks on a polished one, but will it eliminate the engine bog from heat?

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
dude a volant doesn't take in heat like a short ram does. trust me, it's mucho better.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Volants are 200 bucks, and no offence or anything look like crap to me.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Get the Bomz CAI off of ebay from a company called "Racesonic". I had the FS Cool Flo and loved it, but wanted to try this and for less than $90 shipped it is really nice. And getting it from "Racesonic" I've never had all these problems people are talking about with broken welds and crappy filters (the filter that came with it is nice). I've seen the other version of the bomz intake (helped a buddy install it) and it was a nightmare. The filter sucked and the fitamit was horriable. I guess I lucked out and maybe got a new release? Either way...check it out...not sure if they still sell them on ebay but if they do...less than $90 for a CAI that rivals the AEM.

By the way...I've been around awhile and don't put half ass shady parts on my car. I've yet to have any problems with my Bomz CAI.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
ohh yeesss..the hotter it is the crappier it performs..you want an intake that draws in the littlest heat possible... The ractive is well known for trapping large amounts of heat. Look for a used cool-flo or iceman and you will be extremely happy with the performance as it is way more consistant than any short ram w/no heat shiled could ever be.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
i had a ractive intake, and decided to modify it. I fiberglassed a heatshield, took off the ractive heat shield, and threw on a 9.75" K&N filter. i also took the stock snorkel, mounted it on an aluminum plate under the car, and piped it up behind the headlight to feed cool air at speed.

to summarize: the ractive piping is fine, the filter and heatshield that come with it suck. bad.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Silver do you have 70mm MAF or still using the stock one.

·
Registered
659 Posts
It seems after my engine warms up, my shortram intake is sucking in alot of hot air and it really bogs down the car.
I can feel a big different between when i first start the car up in the morning then after its been running for a while. When i first start it up and underthe hood is still cool, it has so much more kick then when its warmed up. Would changing my ractive short ram intake for a bomz polished cold air solve this bog down problem?
Do you have a stock MAF or a 70 mm pro-m

·
Registered
408 Posts
Get the Bomz CAI. It is a nice piece and when installed correctly should last for a long time, especially for only $70-$90. I went from a OBX short ram, with a custom heatshield and ram air; and when I switched to the CAI I could feel a power difference, especailly after sitting in traffic. It also sounds amazing when you hit 6k rpms!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the stock MAF. And also, since i live in florida is water going to be a problem, or do i have to totally submerge the filter for water to affect my engine. Would it be fine driving over wet roads?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bump

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Don't sweat it silver....
I had my Aem cai (bomz older brother) and went thru puddles,wet roads ,car washes etc.
As long as it's not submerged, then you'll be fine!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts