Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the top mount on the passenger side of a ZX3 oil filled, and if it blows oil out can it be repaired or does it have to be replaced?

Here's what happened- I had to go up a rather steep and rutted driveway... more of a Jeep trail than a dirt road. My ZX3 made it up OK, but she was bounced around a little and shuddered a bit as she would get and lose traction.

When I got to the top, I could smell something and opened the hood. There was light oil all over the area under the motor mount. I assumed it was power sterring fluid, but the resevoir was dry on the outside and the hoses were, too. It was not engine oil. It looked like it had puked out the bottom of the mount.

Drove the rest of the way home, and didn't have any unusual vibrations,sounds, etc.

Any ideas?

Ryan

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
under the mount?

Ive heard of that mount being filled with a fluid but I can not confirm this. sorry. Keep an eye on it I guess.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a hydrraulic style of mount and its fluid filled...if it is leaking/torn it needs to be replaced...
CRAP! I guess I should start thinking about whether I want to stay "showroom stock" or start spending money... lots and lots of money...

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Just a word of advice, if you chose to buy a stiffer mount for that side, go ahead and buy all three mounts. Having all three significanly reduces the vibration you get from having just one or two.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I ended up buying a stock mount again (the dealer had one on the shelf, and I couldn't wait for an aftermarket piece or afford to buy all three right now). The old one was indeed done; the seam had slpit about 3/4's of the way around, and all the oil had dumped out. I didn't think it looked all that bad, and I've been driving like a grandma, but for the $100 and 30 minutes it took to fix, I should have done it in California where it broke, instead of driving back to Oregon and fixing it here.

Now, I have the old one to experiment with. All I need is a block of urethane, a little creative carving, and I can firm that bad boy up on the cheap!

The parts guy said he hadn't heard of one failing before, but they had the part in stock... and it wasn't that dusty. I suspect it is a little more common than he would have me believe.

Ryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts