Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad radiator cap? Thats bout the only pressurized system on the focus that I can think of that would be able to repeat the problem over and over again at the same strength.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Are you using your A/C compressor for anything (ie defrost)?

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have no ac compressor,i removed it.ill try the radiator cap but it sounds like its coming from the back of the engine like around the manifold thanx

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Damn you know my car makes the same sort of sound. It's done it for as long as I have had it and I haven't seen any problems. Just another strange Focus quirk I guess.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
it does it when you turn the car off after driving? and its still hot in AZ? if so, its the radiator cap or coolant system in general. im 100% sure of this. doesn't matter how tight it is, its bleeding pressure i think. mine did it every time i turned the car off in the summer. nothign to be worried about.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Originally posted by redliner:
i have no ac compressor,i removed it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">and you live in AZ?

That, my friends, is a straight up "cool" dude.

(And all my friends here in SC thought I was crazy for sweatin' like a pig!
)

·
Registered
5 Posts
hell yah
, i get that stuff sometimez..i thought it was the AC becoz i didn't turn it off when i shut down the engine..but i was wrong..nuthin is wrong with my car so far...but...in the future??

·
Registered
78 Posts
ya... when i stop and shut it off it sounds like a tea pot that just got hot and stated to whistle,when i shut it of the sounds dies slowly then stops,any ideas???

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
It sounds like a vacuum leak to me, possibly from the brake booster. I think the only vacuum resevoir in the Zetec is the brake booster canister so if its a vacuum leak, this is where it's coming from. Try this-after the sound stops, and it sounds like it happens fairly quickly, step on the brake pedal. If it is real hard, you have lost your vacuum somewhere-you should be able to get a few pedal applications with power assist after the engine is off. You could have a bad check valve in the brake vacuum supply line that isn't holding vacuum in the booster canister like it's supposed to and leaks air into the canister through an orifice that is just the right size to create a whistle. Your brakes would still work fine with this defect because the engine would be supplying vacuum as long as it is running. I think if it was a cooling system fault, you would have a loss of coolant issue.

·
Registered
386 Posts
MY car does the same thing and seems to be drinking antifreeze, I check the oil everytime i change it so I know the leak isn't internal, my waterpump seems to have some crud on it and my car starts to whistle as it gets hotter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts