Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed an AEM Short Ram and started to notice that when I warm up my car in the morn the revs start at 1000 then will drop down one hash mark to 800...Then the engine sounds like its almost stalling then back to 800 again and over and over again this happens. Plus when I listen to the exhast it has a low but noticeable Putt-putt ....... Putt-Putt sound.
Anybody seen this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I first Installed my JBA Header and Short-Arm Intake my engine did that (even stalled on me a few times before I could get to the gas)

MOST likley, but not definetly, its simply the computer trying to re-learn everything (you did un-plug your battery after, right?)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, I Unplugged my NEG terminal for Fifteen
Min then let it idle for three or more then problem came back. Could it be my stock spark plugs? Because when it sputters my dash indiglo lights wink a little so maybe its electrical and not fuel or air related.Any more HELP?

Ps I Also installed new Magnecor wires

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
It could also be that you inserted the plugs wrong and they're not on the spark plugs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No this was happening before I changed the plugs with the stock wires and I triple checked the new plug wires. but I never changed the the spark plugs. Im going to the Dealers

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
My short ram does that too, when the engine is cold. I re-programmed the ecu a couple times for my header and cat back, still does it. Its only when its cold....Peace

Lox

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I have the short ram on my SVT. Mine does that and even shuts off when I cost up to lights or stop signs in N. I contacted AEM and they said they never heard of that (of course). They were supposed to try to find something out and get back to me. They never did. I just put in the CAI and said forget the short ram. I have gotten a couple suggestions as to what it could be. MAS not working due to the new filter being too oily from the factory, engine temps under hood too high and since short ram is under hood it takes in hot air the engine does not like. Hope you get it solved. Did you say all the dash lights flash at you or just the battery light?
David

·
Registered
127 Posts
hmmmm.... mine does this and its still stock intake. i have an indiglo gauge face, and i notice also that it dims once in a while (when i see the revs dip). interested to hear what the other suggestions are...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hmm.. having read a number of these threads and experinced it personally, I'm beginning to wonder if it's a good idea to have an open filter anywhere near the MAFS. With the stock design, the air box acts as a compliance chamber dampening out any turbulent flow right before the MAFS. With an open filter right there, not only do you get hot engine air, but also disturbed flow across the MAFS.
Just my thoughts on why this might be happening to so many of us.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I solved the problem but its is very strange.
I went home and uninstalled the Short Ram and reinstalled it. this time checking every seal and seam. I noticed that when I pluged and unplugged the valve cover breather hose the problem appeared and disappeared. Heres the senerio with the engine on and breather hose off everything works 100% but while the engine still on I plugged in the breather hose and the engine died. The valve cover breather valve vents your crank case whitch is recirculated into your intake, however this can be solved by buying a valve cover breather filter and this vents the extra air into the atmosphere. There is a warning though read the following link.

http://www.machv.com/knvalcovbrea.html

Then if you want you can get a nice filter at this link.

http://store.summitracing.com/

and search for this part number
FMS-M6766K302

Hope this helps Please reply and give me feed back, want to know if this helps anyone else

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also Think that what GENERIC FOCUS posted may be valid in this case because the breather hose is so close to the MAFS it disturbs the air and the engine seems to choke from lack of air. Oh BTW the breather hose "sucks" "filtered" air via the intake not vents sorry, but this could be the air disturb prob.

PLease any feedback welcomed and any more info on this breather valve and its usage in terms of engine performance THANKS FELLOW JETTERS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts