Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was curious whether any of you guys have an idea about this. This is in the 05 Focus with the Duratec 20, which now has 3600 miles on it. I was driving home and going up a hill on the highway, when the engine started jerking then died on me. I was able to safely pull over and restart it, but it died again as I was accelerating into traffic. It started right back up again, and sputter a little, but made it to the top of the hill on the highway. When I got off the exit at the first chance, it started sputtering again while I stopped at the light. After this, I immediately turned around and headed for my dealership, which is an all downhil drive, and it sputtered only once more. Any idea's on what might be going on? Today has been an extremely hot day with the temperature at 98%

I find this ironic as my 04 SVT has been extremely reliable, while our new 05 Focus hasn't been. Typically, the SVT Focus' have not been that reliable................

If it would have popped a check engine light, it would be great, but of course it couldn't be that easy.........

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
sounds like a bad fuel pump to me.

I'd check for vacuum leaks to rule out unmetered air intake but that sounds like classic fuel pump failure.

·
Not A Texan!
420 Posts
Well, my ideas have been taken... First thing I thought when I read your title was either vacuum leak or fuel pump... unless you got a tank of bad gas (you know...with water in it?). The pump and vacuum leak will be covered under warranty of course, but the "bad gas" would not, since it is not a defect with the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What really gets me, is where is that damn check engine light when you actually need it? The dealer hasn't been able to reproduce it yet, which is odd considering how bad the car was yesterday. I've found that dealers really won't do anything if the check engine light isn't on, and of course it's my luck that the car isn't acting up at this time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I thought that i'd post an update. They really don't have an answer to my problem, but they did find several codes in the computer. I find this odd since the check engine light never came on. They spent a couple hours checking everything from vacuum lines, to fuel pressure and everything in between. The first code they pulled was for a #2 cylinder misfire during idle. The other codes they pulled were for a #2 cylinder misfire at speed, and then a severe multicylinder misfire as well. What they've done is replaced all 4 spark plugs, and the #2 cylinder coil-on-plug ignition pack. They said the spark plugs on this car were really different, and had a bunch of Japanese written all over it. I guess I never paid attention, but i'm shocked that Ford would go through the expense of a coil-on-plug ignition setup on our cars, as my SVT uses spark plug wires. While they were test driving the car, they said that my a/c started acting erratic again, so they are going ot keep the car over the weekend to test the a/c. The car is currently on it's 3rd a/c compressor..............

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
i have this problem on my 2001 ZX3. I've had this problem since March of this year. Took it to Ford four times (not covered under warranty) in the span of March-May. First they said my throttle body/sensor and MAF were bad.

The second time they said the throttle body sensor was faulty, and I told them to do the fuel pump recall.

The third time I took it to another Ford dealer and they said the MAF sensor went to [censored] and they found an excessive amount of petroleum jelly around the O-ring which seeped into the MAF sensor.

After that, the car ran alright, despite some crappy idle problems. My car just started doing this crap two weeks ago.

So far, I've replaced the spark plugs, valve cover gasket, and now i'm working on the thermostat housing.

I'll let you know if my car runs great after everything is done.

What you're describing is exactly what I have been dealing with for months now. It blows.

·
Registered
438 Posts
someone said it before.. but it sounds like you have had some "bad gas" - I had samething that you have described I went to see dealer, I agree to wait and fill up my tank again with new gas, replaced fuel filter, problem went away. I never went back to this gas station again. I hooked up my OBD II scanner it too said it was missfire on cylinder 2, 2 times.

good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I honestly don't think bad gas is the issue. This is the station that I use all the time, and i've never had any problems with their fuel. It's actually right next to Cincinnati's BMW dealership, which has a contract and account with this gas station. This is actually the reason why I fill up at this station exclusively, as they always have nice fresh gas. After filling up, I think I logged 80 miles or so on the car before this happened, and the mechanics wern't able to reproduce it either. I filled every vehicle i've ever owned at this station, and i've never had a problem with them either. With the BMW dealer having an account with them, it's especially important since that pretty much ensures that i'll always be getting nice fresh premium fuel for my SVT. With gas prices so high, it seems like the premium grade at some stations are getting "stale."

·
Not A Texan!
420 Posts
It doesn't take much for some water to get into the storage tank at a gas station. I used to use only one gas station for the same reason as you, but then one day I was driving, about 50 miles after filling up with gas, and it started sputtering and driving awfully bad. I took it in to get looked at, and they told me that there was water in the tank, so I got some fuel additive that is supposed to mix the water better so it doesn't run as rough when huge bubbles of water go through the system. After that tank of gas was gone, I filled up again, and never had another problem like that. But hey, if its not that... I dunno..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I thought i'd post an update. The car got picked up a couple days ago, and it appears to be running okay. The engine seems to be idling and running goofy, and the shift patterns seems to be out of whack. Since they probably disconnected the battery, the car is probably trying to relearn it's idle and shift patterns. HOwever, it's running pretty good. It says on the repair sheet that they changed the spark plugs with a new design with part # AGSF34YPCF4

Any idea what this new design might be?

It doesn't take much for some water to get into the storage tank at a gas station. I used to use only one gas station for the same reason as you, but then one day I was driving, about 50 miles after filling up with gas, and it started sputtering and driving awfully bad. I took it in to get looked at, and they told me that there was water in the tank, so I got some fuel additive that is supposed to mix the water better so it doesn't run as rough when huge bubbles of water go through the system. After that tank of gas was gone, I filled up again, and never had another problem like that. But hey, if its not that... I dunno..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts