Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

in the process of installing a new head unit I disconnected the negative battery terminal. Since then, the engine acts funky at idle; sometimes it's smooth around the small line near the bigger 1k RPM line. Sometimes it goes back and forth every second between the two small lines between 0 and 1000 rpm; at the lowest point there are vibrations as if the engine was about to stall.

Now, I just came back from a 10 min run and twice the engine stalled while the clutch was depressed, once while i was doing a 90 degrees turn to the left; the sudden lack of steering assitance was surprising to say the least!

What is going on and what should I do?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Did you let the engine re-learn its idling process?

I'd re-disconnect the terminal for about 30 minutes. Then, re-connect, and go through the procedure outlined in the owner's manual. Basically, the computer has to relearn how the car should idle...so it could be the car never got to properly learn its ways after your install.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
check your intake and make sure you didnt knock it loose off the throttle body. Thats usually what happens.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Intake wasn't loose. I didn't know about the idle learning process, I did as GapBoy suggested and the problem's solved.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts