Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used engine off of ebay. It says its for an automatic. Can I take it and put it in a car that has a manual transmission? The engine are the same, just, didnt realize it was for an automatic til after teh fact.

What sort of problems should i expect to encounter???

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I believe that the only physical difference will be the flex plate versus a flywheel. There are no other differences I am aware of.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Close. I think it's the crank position sensor? It's location is also different between auto/manual. I don't know how different, but enough to keep the car from starting until you make it right. How to make it right is beyond me. I just know I had a lengthy discussion with a guy in new mexico a few months ago that fell victim to this problem.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
you will have to swap the crank position sensor mounting plates. The actual sensor is the same. The mounting plates are different. The automatic's flexplate sits deeper so the mounting block is thicker, holding the sensor further back. If you try to use this with a flywheel, the sensor will be too far away and you wont get a crank signal.

Its very simple though. After removing the flywheel/flexplate, you will see the sensor mounting plate held on by one torx bolt. Simply swap the auto mounting block for your manual mounting block and everything will be fine.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I think the auto has a different crank position sensor than the 5-speed.

Here's a thread with SceviourZX3's troubles with the CPP:

http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showf...4&fpart=all

And here's a quote from that thread describing exactly what the problem was:

i ahve found the problem...........lol i never would of noticed it either unless i did'nt accidently pick up an automatic cranksensor to put in instad of my manual.........

theres a bracket, inside the bellhousing of the tranny. it goes through the block into the bellhousing. my new block was auto matic. i never noticed that the angle of my crank/DIS positioning sensor was off by 1`.5 inches.....reason being. it was identical until i looked at my blown up block an my other spare block on the floor. the sensor in the auto is angled out more towards the flywheel. thus being with a manuallflywheel on her, it was hitting. that's why it would'nt fit correctly. so all i ahve to do is finish taking the axels out of her. swap out the sensor casing, an sensor. put it all back together, an with any luck my issue will be resolved.........its prety stupid i did'nt realize this before when it threw the crank sensor engine light....because my car need to have two staeady pulses to calculate the spark....1 cam sensor. 2. crank sensor.....oh my to i ever feel like a idiot....lol at least it jsut my own time i wasted, an dont have to pay for it lol

so she should be ready for mon-tues....wish me luck

Edit: Guess I'm too slow.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. this should be fun. anyone has times from experience on how many hours it took them to swap out an engine??

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
1 day of work, 4 days of driving around getting food, beer, tools, fluids, and bolts to replace the ones we lost.

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
1 day of work, 4 days of driving around getting food, beer, tools, fluids, and bolts to replace the ones we lost.
That sounds about right
lol yup.

We did mine in 7 hours. The first time.

Had to take it back apart the next day because...you guessed it...the automatic crack position sensor wouldn't play well with my manual flywheel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts