Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has had to have repairs due to the major equipment probs with our Foci (fuel pump, ignition lock, etc...) in -or- out of warranty should file complaints with the NHTSA. It can be done securely at their website. It is the only way we'll get Ford to issue recalls for these various problems. Ranting here in the probs section and hollering at Ford Customer Service on the phone is not effective. Ford won't blow off the Feds if there are enough complaints. So keep them coming, its well worth the few minutes time it takes. You may also save a jetters life if we can effect the fuel pump recall! The website is: www.nhtsa.dot

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Weird. I havent had any problems yet, and I'm closing on 37k miles. Well, I did have a spring on my shifter break (so the shifter is pulled to center while in neutral) but I dont think thats exactly life-threatening. Hell, I waited for about 2k miles before I got around to taking it in.

But this is a good thing anyway. I remember a lot of people had the fuel pump issue a few months back (it seems to have calmed down now though).

·
Internet = Serious Business
628 Posts
You can't just go complain to get a recall just because a couple people had a major repair. Recalls are 95% of the time due to safety defects. Things break and not everybody can have a 100k mi car with no problems. If you don't like paying for repairs buy a warranty, learn to fix things yourself, or don't drive.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
You can't just go complain to get a recall just because a couple people had a major repair. Recalls are 95% of the time due to safety defects. Things break and not everybody can have a 100k mi car with no problems. If you don't like paying for repairs buy a warranty, learn to fix things yourself, or don't drive.
I agree with what you're saying, but what he's referring to w/ this post is COMMON Problems. There are a few. One mistake though, is the fact that there ISN'T a "Fuel Pump" Problem. it's a "GAS TANK" Problem that is CAUSING Fuel Pump Failures. The Pumps would be fine if the gas tank weren't faulty, AND I pity those who've had their fuel pumps replaced w/o replacing the gas tank, IF the Original Gas tank hadn't completely finished shedding it's lining.
If the gas tank had finished shedding, a simple cleaning of filters and a new fuel pump will be fine. if it hasn't finished, the problem Will happen again....

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I dunno if this has happened to any of you but my shift arm sheared off the shaft on my tranny today under normal driving

Details here: http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB12&Number=694928&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Mods im not hijacking or cross posting on purpose just curious how rare this is
I wouldn't call this Cross-Posting in any way.
A: You didn't start a thread anyway,...and
B: It IS Relevant to the discussion.

Failures happen, and this COULD be Rare, but it never hurts to ask if others have had a common experience.
It's DEFINITELY not as common as the Fuel tank, BUT, if enough members have had it happen, it IS DEFINITELY a Safety issue.
If you're among an Unlucky few, well, that SUCKS, but it's not a Recall issue.
Posting helps us find out.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks MichaelXi. Yes, I am referring to the most common problems that seem to be recurring in 00 and 01 model years. My 00 ZX3 was trouble free until I hit roughly 37k. Since then my fuel pump went out and the ignition lock broke, all in two months. My guess is for every failure of these parts noted on this board there are probably 15-20 that no one here knows about.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
No Prob man...
And you're probably right... We're just a small sampling of the Focus-Owning Community.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
the problem with both the Fuel pump and the ignition is that There isn't a long term fix yet. the question is recall the problem and do what to fix it. I would prefer an extended warranty program for both issues. no need to fix something that may not be broken.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
We're just a small sampling of the Focus-Owning Community.
Yes, but we rule!!!
Yes...We DO!!!!

Biker16...
The Fix for the Fuel Problem is to do a Gas Tank Recall, WITH Fuel Pump Cleanings and Inspections as part of the Deal.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Yes, but we rule!!!
Yes...We DO!!!!

Biker16...
The Fix for the Fuel Problem is to do a Gas Tank Recall, WITH Fuel Pump Cleanings and Inspections as part of the Deal.

I have replaced my pump myself and I can't confirm what is cloging the module, It looks like a oily dirty residue, and the same residue is in the bottom of tanks, it may have come from dirty gas.
the problem is due to an Fuel pump module design that is suseptable to cloging. and the cloging causes the Fuel pump to starve and burnout.

I say unless they Redesign the module not to clog as easily why bother replacing module that may or may not have a problem? You risk making the problem worse or creating problems where there wasn't a problem before.

Extend the warranty until a long-term fix is issued. therefore the 90+% of people without the problem won't be incoveinced by an unneeded trip to the dealership.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally picked up my car today, $203 for the ignition lock repair

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Yes, but we rule!!!
Yes...We DO!!!!

Biker16...

I have replaced my pump myself and I can't confirm what is cloging the module, It looks like a oily dirty residue, and the same residue is in the bottom of tanks, it may have come from dirty gas.
the problem is due to an Fuel pump module design that is suseptable to cloging. and the cloging causes the Fuel pump to starve and burnout.

I say unless they Redesign the module not to clog as easily why bother replacing module that may or may not have a problem? You risk making the problem worse or creating problems where there wasn't a problem before.

Extend the warranty until a long-term fix is issued. therefore the 90+% of people without the problem won't be incoveinced by an unneeded trip to the dealership.
Toss both those cummy filters in the canister, place a GOOD in-line filter on the output side of the fuel pump, and all will be fine.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Anyone who has had to have repairs due to the major equipment probs with our Foci (fuel pump, ignition lock, etc...) in -or- out of warranty should file complaints with the NHTSA. It can be done securely at their website. It is the only way we'll get Ford to issue recalls for these various problems. Ranting here in the probs section and hollering at Ford Customer Service on the phone is not effective. Ford won't blow off the Feds if there are enough complaints. So keep them coming, its well worth the few minutes time it takes. You may also save a jetters life if we can effect the fuel pump recall! The website is: www.nhtsa.dot
I had a representative of the NTSB call me at work to inquire about my issues with the fuel pump.

We talked about 20 minutes and he stated that they do go to the focaljet to research the issues. I even had his phone number, but I lost it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just received my fuel pump recall notice from Ford. Thats $385 back in my pocket

1 - 17 of 17 Posts