Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
errr uhhh, my headlights don\'t work but my other lights do

ok this is weird, and i know nothing about electrical stuff so any help is much appreciated.

i have Sylvania Silverstars in my headlights (stock headlights).

i have my headlights on whenever i drive day or night, and the other day i was sitting in a convenience store parking lot grabbing lunch on my break, and i see the reflection of my right side of my car, and the right headlight is out.

and i'm like WTF cuz i am sick of replacing bulbs and i thought the Silverstars would last at least 3 months lol.

but then, like 2 or 3 days later (can't get a bulb til payday this week), i noticed that headlight was on again, and the LEFT one was out. and then i got confused, thinking maybe the reflection i saw at lunch a few days ago was wrong, but i without a doubt saw that the RIGHT bulb was out, NOT the left.

so yeah, then tonight, i am dropping movies off at a rental place, and in the pizza shop in front of me when i was turning around in the parking lot, i saw that NEITHER lights were on (don't ask how i didn't notice that, i was tired tonight ok).

and at this point i was really like WTF!!! so i popped my hood and tried to figure out why they weren't working. my fogs and my running lights were on and working fine.

so to recap, since i am long-winded:

1. right bulb is not on a few days ago, thought it was burnt out.

2. few days later, right bulb is back on, left is now out.

3. tonight, both headlight bulbs are out. foglights and running lights are working fine.

so could i have just had a freakish case of bad headlight bulbs, and they are both burnt out? or could there be a problem with a fuse or something? i haven't checked to see if anything else is on the same fuse as the headlights, i will do that tomorrow.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: errr uhhh, my headlights don\'t work but my other lights do

check your fuses and the bulbs and cables, female plugs.

Question.? Did you touch the bulbs, *the glass part with your fingers

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

nope, didn't touch the bulbs. i did theatre tech in high school, i know better

but i wonder what cables coulda came loose. i already checked the ones the bulbs plug into, are there any other cables?

i still hafta check the fuses.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

wait, if this is a fuse, wouldn't they go out at once? why would one go off, back on, then the other goes off, and now both?

·
Registered
438 Posts

Focus has two separate fuses for each individual headlight. + if you have SVT, or euro, or HID headlights, it also has separate for low beam and high beam. And also your two separate relays one for low beam and high beam.

See, if you still have high beams. I would check the following:

Fuses, Circuits daytime running lamps relay (if you have one), low beam relay, and light switch, and also ground connection.

hope that helps a little

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

well the high beams work (i dunno why it didn't occur to me earlier to try that) so i reckon it's the low-beam fuses, gonna replace those tomorrow and see what happens.

what exactly causes the fuses to trip (again i know nothing about electricity) within such short time of each other?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts