Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Educating Mazda Owners One Thread at a Time
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting Euro fenders installed on my S2 after a not-at-fault accident, and I was going to tell the autobody not to try to wire up the sidemarker lights and that I would do it later, so as to not incur more labor charges. Is this a stupid idea? Is it gonna be a pain in the butt to do later? Should I just have them do it? Opinions, please. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The wiring is easy, just splice your turn signals and it's done. The problem is I would think that you would have to take the fenders off to put the light and wires in. Not really that hard to do, if you have the time.

·
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone know for sure that I would have to take the outer fenders off? If that's the case, I'll just have them run some wire down to the front of the car when they install them. If I can route the wires from underneath, like by taking off the fender liners, I'll probably do that myself.

·
Registered
733 Posts
You don't need to remove the fender. Just the inner fender. Then remove the washerfluid reservoir. It needs modified to get the light to fit. It needs heated and dimpled in to clear the light.

·
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't need to remove the fender. Just the inner fender. Then remove the washerfluid reservoir. It needs modified to get the light to fit. It needs heated and dimpled in to clear the light.
Thanks. I already have a Euro Washer Fluid Resovoir, so when they put that and the fender on, I think I'm just gonna have them run wires and then tape them off so that I can splice them in later. Is it just two wires from the Euro lights? Also, does it matter which is which when I hook them up? Meaning, should I have the autobody mark the two wires so I know which is which? Thanks for the replies, guys.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
here's a tip... on mine if I used both the wires then they would stay on as parking when my lights were on and also flash for turns. If I didn't use the ground wire from the harness and instead ran my own ground from the chassis to the marker and only hooked up the power wire from the harness then they only work as turn signals and are off the rest of the time. You can set them up how you want them.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thanks. I already have a Euro Washer Fluid Resovoir, so when they put that and the fender on, I think I'm just gonna have them run wires and then tape them off so that I can splice them in later. Is it just two wires from the Euro lights? Also, does it matter which is which when I hook them up? Meaning, should I have the autobody mark the two wires so I know which is which? Thanks for the replies, guys.
I went through all of this when I put them on my first ZX3. The only difference was mine were the LED versions from McNews Automotive. They should only be 2 wires, and it shouldn't matter which wire is which. I think they are the same bulb as the bumper sidemarkers, and I know they don't matter which wire is which.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't see many vw's, audi's, bmw's , etc. round here. Do their sidemarkers stay on w/ the lights or only when flashing? just curious cuz i'm getting ready to wire them up too...

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
They're supposed to be side repeaters that only blink when the signals go on and you're supposed to have the sidemarker on the bumer just to be lit with the running lights.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Please don't wire them up to be on with the parking lights.... if you do, they'll blink opposite with the lights in the grills.... which a lot of the "ricers" wire theirs up to do that.
but it's your call...

I have the LED ones from McNews as well.... and i have the Mach's....so i did this....

I re wired my corner bumper light to be wired into the Parking/City Light of the Mach... so that corner bumper light will never blink again...just turn on with the parking light.

I wired the LED triangular sidemarker to the blinker wire for the blinker in the Machs....so it will only blink with the blinkers...

and just put the ground wire on a bolt that holds hte fender in place...

Good luck on it...and after you're finished, could you take some pics? i love to see the real Euro sidemarkers

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Ahh....

if it werent 20 degrees outside, I'd do it right now.

Add that on the list of things to do when we thaw out

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
here's a tip... on mine if I used both the wires then they would stay on as parking when my lights were on and also flash for turns. If I didn't use the ground wire from the harness and instead ran my own ground from the chassis to the marker and only hooked up the power wire from the harness then they only work as turn signals and are off the rest of the time. You can set them up how you want them.
What did you do with the ground that you didn't use? By not using the ground from the harness did it not cause any strange behaviour from the lights?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bringing life to this post yet again! I've wired my triangle markers to every possible combo with the front turnsignals; and the sidemarkers are still lit w/ the parking lights on...I have the ST170 lights which don't have seperate parking/blinker bulbs... do your machs have independent flashing bulbs; and a seperate parking bulb? please help!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Here is your problem: the front side-marker lights on the Focus work by use of a 'floating-ground' system.

One wire is for the parking lamp and the other, the floating-ground is the turn-signal.

You want to cut the turn-signal wires. RH-Blue/White wire
LH-Blue/Red wire. Use a wire tester to make sure. Once cut, the remaining wire off of each bulb-socket must be wired to a ground point.

The turn-signal wires are each wired to your fender repeater lamps (triangle lamps) and the other side of the socket for the repeater is wired to a ground.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
My suggestion is to disconnect your side marker corner lights, and extend its wires up to your fender, and wire up the +/- to your euro blinkers, if you do that, make sure you re-wire your existing side markers with new wires to the major and ground from your grille harness, so they stay lighted like the mk4 jettas n golfs, trust me, you will like it that way. Otherwise, if you dont, you can simply wire the Ground and minor wires from your grille harness into the euro blinker fender lights.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My suggestion is to disconnect your side marker corner lights, and extend its wires up to your fender, and wire up the +/- to your euro blinkers, if you do that, make sure you re-wire your existing side markers with new wires to the major and ground from your grille harness, so they stay lighted like the mk4 jettas n golfs, trust me, you will like it that way. Otherwise, if you dont, you can simply wire the Ground and minor wires from your grille harness into the euro blinker fender lights.
Like he said....i did it that way...

IF i just wired up my "Euro sides" to the corner lense, they wouldn't light up at the same time as the main blinkers in the Machs...

But as you can see in this picture....
the corner lenses are wired to the parking light...so they stay on with the parking light switch and never blink...like the latest Jettas, and the Triangle sidemarkers are wired to the blinker wire in the Machs...so they only blink.

i hope this helps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts