Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAR AND DRIVER (or was it ROAD & TRACK??) did an article comparing the Lancer and the new (yet unreleased in the states) Subaru WRX STi...and who came out the winner??

THE EVOLUTION LANCER (Yeah that's right you Subaru lovers...
)!!

Another lesser known magazine also did a similar test and also found the Lancer to be the better car...The main arguments aganist the STi is that it didn't respond as well as the EVO and the power was too "intense" compared to the EVO's much steadier ride...

Sure sure...the STi pushes out 29 more horses and about as much more torque as well...but these test just prove that there's more to a car then raw power...

Go EVOLUTION go!!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
if im gonna spend that kinda money i want the looks too and the STi OWNS the Evo there! i would still take the subbie over the mitsu hands down!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Originally posted by Hitokiri:
CAR AND DRIVER (or was it ROAD & TRACK??) did an article comparing the Lancer and the new (yet unreleased in the states) Subaru WRX STi...and who came out the winner??

THE EVOLUTION LANCER (Yeah that's right you Subaru lovers...
)!!

Another lesser known magazine also did a similar test and also found the Lancer to be the better car...The main arguments aganist the STi is that it didn't respond as well as the EVO and the power was too "intense" compared to the EVO's much steadier ride...

Sure sure...the STi pushes out 29 more horses and about as much more torque as well...but these test just prove that there's more to a car then raw power...

Go EVOLUTION go!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">fanboy

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Originally posted by MikeyJA:
if im gonna spend that kinda money i want the looks too and the STi OWNS the Evo there! i would still take the subbie over the mitsu hands down!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Pssht...they're both pretty homely.

The Evo's won every comparo I've seen.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Rather have an Evo6 myself. Evo8 looks like an oversized EG Civic. Mitsu should have stuck with the more boxed bodystyle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
RAW power would be nice.They are both great cars however.

I still think it will be interesting once these cars have both been out for a while to see what kind of repair costs come in to play. Subaru parts cost are pretty decent but the last time I took at look at some cost for an Eclipse or 3000GT, Galant even, I was astounded at the prices.

The Subaru vs Mitsubishi war will never end, they are just to similar of cars.But I think they should both be honoured for there strong points and what they contribute to the automotive community. I still have a lot of respect for Subaru in brining out the WRX in the first place. Ive been sending them emails since 98 trying to get the WRX over here, i sent so many I started getting personalized responses back from people that recognized me, and it looks like it paid off. With the WRX in the market it compelled other manufactures to take action and not sit on their rumps watching WRX's drive by.Now look what weve got....a pretty decent market with some hard choices..... Thanks Subaru!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
it was different track days. they even said they expect different results if they did them both in the same conditions.

if you race a car with less HP on a hot humid day and a car with a little less HP on a cool dry day... well, well, well...

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fanboy??

Did I come out looking bias...

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
I originally wanted the STi but after seeing what the EVO has done to the STi on the track. The EVO gets my vote. I love how the STI loos, and I do not like the EVO front, but dang the performance is nice.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Only time in the cars themselves should decide what works best for you.

Car and Driver may be able to get the best out of the EVO.....but thats there driver, You may be able to get the best out of the Sti or Vice-Versa.

It comes down to what the driver can handle.My Focus has much much more power then my 85 MR-2, but that MR-2 Chassis instilled so much confidence in myself, that I did things in that car I would never dream of in the Focus (4 ft of air among other things) Now, is this the case for everyone else? Nahhhh Im sure someone could get the duece on track and spin it at every turn, hop in a Focus and turn a Fast time.

So I guess what I am saying is rather then rely on a few Mag Comparo's by Pro drivers, go test it and make the decision yourself.Ive heard great things about the Focus SVT as well, in all teh mags....but when I drove one, the chassis just felt...boring as compared to my ZX-3 with mild sus and engine mods. On paper, and in the eye of the Guy who makes a lot of money at Road and Track, "He'd take an SVT any day".

But you try telling me that:)
Try em both out. Then youll know.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Originally posted by Hitokiri:
Fanboy??

Did I come out looking bias...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Yes.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I want that cool ass "blue by you" color on a Lancer Evo....that'd be a tight ass ride to compliment my Focus.

·
Registered
63 Posts
As said before on this site by someone whos name is unknown to me, and i quote,"There is no replacement for displacement." The Evo has 2.0 L and the STI 2.5 L. So in the long run the STI has more potential. Also i like how they changed the Bug eyes, i really didnt like those. I really, really dont like the Evo Front end. Over all I think these are both really cool cars, but ide have to take the Subbie.
Justin
P.S. The Evo seats didnt fit my wide shoulders very well either.

·
Registered
149 Posts
We have the STi's here in Hawaii now. I just spent some time behind one on the freeway last Saturday. It was quite a car!

·
Not so Photo Master
6,625 Posts
one of those evos would be so much fun,... for about a month. then the mitsubishi factor kicks in and its in the shop for the rest of its owners bank account

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I would take the Subby hands down, And which one sdo you think will last longer, Mitsu or Subaru??? Mitsu is not known for thier quality so we will wait and see.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
In Automobile, the STI won against the Evo.

STI was faster, more hp, more torque, better seats, etc.

I dont understand how the Evo ever wins.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
So Ron, when do you take delivery?

- Drew

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Originally posted by Kool_ZX3:
I would take the Subby hands down, And which one sdo you think will last longer, Mitsu or Subaru??? Mitsu is not known for thier quality so we will wait and see.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Huh??? And Subaru is known for being rock solid? There are zero comparisons "quality wise" that can be made to differentiate these two. So that statement isn't valid.

Akina... yea you go find a dealer that will let you test drive an Evo or STi

Lastly as to the EVO "ever" winning: Here they are by the numbers. Regardless if you give credence to mag results or not, they are still direct comparo's and are relevant.
Automobile test results:
Price WRX STi $31,545
0-60 mph WRX STi 4.9 sec -win
1/4 mile:13.5 sec @ 103mph -win
Top Speed: 147 mph -win

Price EVO VIII $30,062 -win
0-60 mph EVO VIII 5.1 sec
1/4 mile: 13.9 sec @ 102 mph
Top Speed EVO VIII 155 mph

Motor Trend test results:
Price WRX STi $32,000-$32,500
0-60 mph WRX STi 4.87 sec
1/4 mile: 13.23 sec @104.6

Price EVO VIII $28,987-$30,217 -win
0-60 mph EVO VIII 4.59 sec -win
1/4 mile: 13.08 sec @105.1 -win

Road & Track
Subaru Impreza WRX STI
0-20 0.7 -win
0-40 2.5
0-60 4.9
0-80 8.0 -win
0-100 12.6 -win
1/4 mile 13.3 @103.0mph -win

-Mitsuishi Lancer EVO VIII
0-20 0.8
0-40 2.3 -win
0-60 4.8 -win
0-80 8.2
0-100 12.7
1/4 mile 13.4 @103.0mph

Now take a close look at those numbers, there is not much difference. Consider this quote from Fasttrax Turbo (Noted Turbo Tuner and does R&D for HKS)
Originally posted by FastraxTurbo:
Having test driven and developing parts for both cars, I prefer the EVO. Even though the STI dyno'd more power (I tested a pre-production model, so production vehicles will be alittle lower), the EVO handled much nicer. The 4G63 motor has been around for a long time and alot of performance parts are available. I 4G is also a stronger motor. The EJ20 is fragile.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So I'm not saying the EVO is superior, but it is this fast, with less power, and the numbers are so close there is no winner. So I don't understand how anyone can say absolutely that the Sti is superior.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts