Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the question to all you guys with Cams.

Do you ever smell small amounts of unburned Hydrocarbons (HC) under your hood?

When I start the car, sometimes at idle I get a very light hint of HC smell.

I think it is occasional exhaust gas excaping through the intake valve, I mean that is very possible at low RPM with Stage 2 cams. What do you think?

Of course it can be a number of other nasty things, like bad head gasket or cracked exhaust manifold.

I don't think it is burning oil, since oil seems to have a sweeter smell, atleast to me.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
It's possible. Do you have the cam timing adjusted? or stock cam timing?

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
What does "unburned Hydrocarbon" smell like?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Gasoline, I guess.

·
Registered
545 Posts
yeah...gasoline is a hydrocarbon.

well you do get more overlap at idle and it would allow for some gasses to escape but i think the only way this would happen is if the intake valve starts to open on the way up on the exhaust stroke. even then, i'd think the vacuum in the cylinder would pull it back in.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I do not smell any with mine.But on a further note I will give you dyno results on Friday....

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't smell anything with mine. If I remember right my exhaust cam is -6 and my intake is +4. Don't know if that helps. I hope yours is nothing serious.

·
Registered
74 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm thats not good you could have a bad pcv valve which reciculats hydrocarbons back into the intake but i dont know with out looking

1 - 8 of 8 Posts