Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone has tried removing the rear resonator (lunch box) from there stock exhaust? Some one was telling me it will free up the engine at higher RPM’s.

If so how does it sound? Does it seam to run better?

My next question has any one wrapped the exhaust header? Seams to me that you could reduce some of the under hood temp.

Any thought, or opinions?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
haven't read anything on wrapping the header, but do a search and many peole have removed the "lunch box". I think they said you can tell a difference in power, but it does get louder and more ricey!

·
Registered
340 Posts
havent heard of people wrapping the header, but i think a couple people here did the jethot coating.

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
I ditched the lunchbox, but I did it at the same time as putting a flowmaster on too, so I can't tell you of a difference in sound. But the header wrap sounds like a nice alternative to that ugly header box.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Be advised that wrapping your header will most likley shorten it's life. It is stainless steel but the amount of heat trapped by the wrap will cause the header to get brittle and it will crack sooner rather than later. We have used the wrap on racing cars for just your reason of controling under hood temps, but we were lucky to get a whole season out of them.

I recomend Jet Hot coating, it traps the heat in the exhaust gas and it passes down the pipe and out the exhaust system rather than trapping it inside the wrap (the pipe lives in there too). If you have it coated make sure they do it inside as well as outside. You might consider leaving the heat shield on after you coat the pipe and cover the underside of the shield with heat shield blanket, this will also help control the underhood temps.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ditched the lunchbox, but I did it at the same time as putting a flowmaster on too, so I can't tell you of a difference in sound. But the header wrap sounds like a nice alternative to that ugly header box.
Do you like the sound of your set up?

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
I like it, its louder in the car then it is outside. Ask Omni if he likes it, he commented on it at the last autox.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I removed the rear resonator after I had a magnaflow muffler added and it didn't make any noticeable differeance in power or sound to me. However, I did notice a big improvement once I removed the main resonator and had a strait pipe welded in. Sound was much louder(I like it, but it is a bit ricey) and the power was very noticable, but that may be the combination of the muffler flow removal of both resonators.

·
EAT MORE CORN DAMNIT!!!!
3,070 Posts
Adam....(Swoop1156)...had the lunch box removed and had custom work done to add duals.... looked and sounded awesome....

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seams like just cutting of the lunch box with out replacing the muffler may not sound to good. Maybe I should just go the rout of getting an aftermarket CAT back.

Byron what brand of wrap where you using? I got in contact with the guys at Thermal Tec, they explained how there product worked. Basically they said there shouldn’t be a problem as long as it installed properly. From what I gather is there wrap releases a cretin amount for the heat not allowing the temps of the steel to get to super hot. But this is coming from the Tec Rep and he wants to sell the stuff obviously. I also looked at the Jet Hot Coating you mentioned seams like a good product but I’m not sure how I’ll do with out my Wheel for a week, so I’m debating buying a second header and send it to them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Bri,
I have used the Thermal Tec wrap and another brand that I can't remember the name of right off my head. The other problem is that the wrap does absorb some moisture when it is not hot and then it evaporates once the engine is started. I have seen headers rusted through in very short time by this. I don't know what the alloy of our headers is but it is something I would worry about.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Seams like just cutting of the lunch box with out replacing the muffler may not sound to good. Maybe I should just go the rout of getting an aftermarket CAT back.
I had to remove my lunchbox because i had a euro rear bumper installed. I think it sounds great and alot of other people have agreed. I don't think it sounds ricey at all, on my car it actually got deeper and when you start it up you get all types of great growling, rasps, and snorts from it. It gives the car alot more personality.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m glad to see that people have some positive feeling about cutting the lunch box off, maybe I’ll work on fabricating a section of pipe then.

Anyone have an idea who the header is manufactured by?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts