Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking if i upgrade my exhaust, i'd go focus central gen three race header, then a flex pipe, then to my magnaflow cat back.

I want to still run a high flow cat however located about 6" after the catback flange (on the existing cat back).

so this

to this

to catback (obviously) but put this

right after this junction

would the second o2 sensor be easy to get to here? wiring is not a problem, just the mounting.... ??

thoughts?

Edit: i want to run a cat because i work
Here

and i have the magnaflow catback. (in response to bowdown's comment)

[ 02-05-2003, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: demonfire ]

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Yeah that sounds like a really good idea, getting that cat under the car where it should be is never a bad thing! And while we're at it anyone know the demensions of those flex pipes? Like how long are the straight sections on the longest ones? I'd like to throw another resonator in there if i ever got a race header to counteract the removing the cat "tinniness" that you often get.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
That sounds like a good plan man. Maybe just ditch the muffler and get (2) resonators?

Should be a nice setup

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bowdown that's not a muffler, it's a high flow cat.

i'm going to try to keep it as quiet as possible tho... might have to add another resonator after that...

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
A high flow cat that is placed that far down the exhaust is not going to serve it purpose properly, and there is no point in using it unless to dampen noise, which a muffler can do anyway.

- Drew

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so where would you put it drew?

i figure it would just take a bit longer to get up to temp?

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Drew is right... The closer the cat is to the engine, the faster it can light off. A cat needs heat to operate properly, so the farther from the main heat source, the longer it'll take to heat up and work... or if it is too far, it may never reach operating temp.

Where does the SVT Focus place the cat? I'd suggest that the SVT is probably the best example of getting it as close as possible to the heat source while still running a race header.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
It might not get as hot being father down... but if you run it for awhile it should still get warm enough to serve the purpose?

[ 02-05-2003, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: BowDown ]

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
If you want to run a High-Flow cat, for it to work properly at all times, is to place it in the flex-pipe - Before the flex section.

- Drew

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
drew will the FC cat i pictured above fit there?
doesn't look to be enough clearance.

when i get my car up on the lift when i do my motor mounts i'll check it out.

Nader is the focus central guy, right? you have dimensions of that cat?

If i am going to cut up the flex pipe i'm gonna cut up the stock one first and have the cat welded in place...

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Honestly, I don't know, it all depends on the demesions of the cat.

If nader would indluge us with some specs, it could help.

- Drew

·
Registered
694 Posts
Go to a junkyard and do some measuremets, I'm SURE that cats used to be located that far from the exhaust ports on cars during the 80's. That said, I'm thinking that modern cats will need to reach a certain temp to 'light off'. I'd just build the system without a cat, get an EGT monitor, weld bungs in where you might want to put the cat and see if the exhaust gasses are still that temp when they get there. It's better than just guessing. Then you could share the info and make the world a better place.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay, well i have to convince a few people before i spend the money on the parts.

1. my better half.

2. my uncle with the shop(he'll go along he likes messing around)
3. my bank accounts
4. ford dealership (already discussed the idea... he said unrelated parts will still be covered no problem, but my o2 sensors and such wont be)

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by demonfire:
okay, well i have to convince a few people before i spend the money on the parts.

1. my better half.

2. my uncle with the shop(he'll go along he likes messing around)
3. my bank accounts
4. ford dealership (already discussed the idea... he said unrelated parts will still be covered no problem, but my o2 sensors and such wont be)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">edit:

OR.... i could go with the street header and offroad pipe, and in the offroad pipe place that cat, to the flexpipe... but that's awful close (but not that close
)

t'would be easier to swap the factory cat back in if something happened that way...

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
I think your est and most performance worthy bet would be:

Street Header
Random Tech Cat
Flex
Exhaust

I don't think it is worth the trouble to buy a ORP and separate cat and put them together yourself, when the gains from this setup have already been proven.

- Drew

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
let's price this out... street header $290, random tech cat $299, flex $140

$730 or so...

race header $360, flex $140
$500 total or so...

decisions...

i'm going to look into the race header then the short cat in the flex.. and go from there.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
or buy the whole stock svt setup... oh btw ford racing will start makin the header w/egr bungs 4 retrofits 2 our cars. and mcnews has wiring extensions 4 ur 02 sensors 2 sit back at the stock cat which is downstream!!!!

oh btw, they have some more goody goodies on the way that i cant talk about at this moment...stay tuned (no pun).

-Ult

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
or buy the whole stock svt setup... oh btw ford racing will start makin the header w/egr bungs 4 retrofits 2 our cars. and mcnews has wiring extensions 4 ur 02 sensors 2 sit back at the stock cat which is downstream!!!!

oh btw, they have some more goody goodies on the way that i cant talk about at this moment...stay tuned (no pun).

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">lol! this just struck me as an idea that would be remarkably feasable, relatively cheap, and definately effective!

SVT header to SVT cat and flex to my magnaflow catback? hrmm.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts