Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has an 01 zx3 with borla exhaust and while it sounds ok it does get annoying after a while. I was looking at ford motorsports zx4 borla kit and it seems to have a large reasonater. A picture of the zx3 one does not. My question is did borla change their design or does the 2.3 zx4 kit just have the reasonater. 1 more Q...is the focus sport stealth system alot louder than my stock st?
I have had nothing but good luck with borla in my experiences but if the stealt FS system is better i want to know.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
The Borla system for 2.3 Duratecs has a single straight-through muffler, like a glasspack. No other resonator. Personally, I love the sound it makes. The FS Stealth won't be much quieter, because the Borla keeps both cats.

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
Nah, the Borla doesn't have a "glass pack", but it keeps the second cat, so overall volume is still going to be quieter than a straight pipe.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The picture on ford performance parts website shows a reasonater on the straight pipe coming off of the header. It shows a reasonater and muffler.

·
8,054 Posts
Trust me. The Borla no longer comes with a resonator. Only the rear muffler and a clamp on pipe that goes directly behind the 2nd cat. I ordered the Borla many moons ago after seeing Benny's (who actually got the first gen Borla that did come with a resonator) and mine didn't come with one. I had to pay $65 to ship that damn thing back to the company I ordered from because it wasn't what I wanted. I called up every company I could think of trying to find a Borla that still had that resonator and no one had them. I even called Borla and told them they screwed up and tried to see if I could just buy the resonator for it, and they won't sell it. The only part they sell is the full system, which does not include the resonator. Those are the facts straight from Borla. Unfortunately, their pictures are screwed up and incorrect, but they will do nothing to correct it, so it comes across as false advertising. You can pick up a resonator from somewhere else and have it custom welded inline, but you aren't going to get one from Borla.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I happen to like my magnaflow exhaust. Not too loud and a nice deep tone, nothing like the ricer sound you might get from others.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Brett, what does the muffler look like? Is it a round muffler or an oval. Do you by chance know what the part numbers are on the muffler and resonator?
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Nah, the Borla doesn't have a "glass pack",
Well, it's more like steel wool than fiberglass, but the principle is the same. I consider "glasspack" to be a more accurate term than "muffler", since it's a straight-through design without the traditional cancelling chambers.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have the cosworth header, cosworth 2.5" flex, and a 2.5" exhaust from trubenz which has only one magnaflow muffler, no cats. A set up like this is way too loud for me
I'm looking to get a magnaflow resonator and get it welded in the straight pipe section.

·
8,054 Posts
Nah, the Borla doesn't have a "glass pack",
Well, it's more like steel wool than fiberglass, but the principle is the same. I consider "glasspack" to be a more accurate term than "muffler", since it's a straight-through design without the traditional cancelling chambers.
Right, but I'm pretty sure Yellow and I were on the same page with this. It would be the "resonator" section of the FS system. The one that actually looks like an old school glass pack or cherry bomb. This:

I was talking more about looks than design. In any case, I'm pretty sure that he was talking about that same section (the one that replaces the 2nd cat.)

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Just to clarify, FS doesn't build the resonator in case anyone was wondering...
And for a short time, their exhausts were actually stamped "EuroSport" due to a mixup at their supplier.

·
8,054 Posts
I got one of those "limited edition" bad boys too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts