Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been thinking about a new exhaust, how many mufflers are on a zx3 stock, also can i have a muffler shop make me up one custom, would it be cheaper or, should i just get a cat back. I would like 2.5" stainless steel or aluminized tubing and a stainless steel muffler, the thing thats getting me is where does the resonator come into play??? I have done cat backs but only on trucks

·
Registered
542 Posts
Your best bet is to get a cat back system, if you have a shop fab you one it will be pricey.

Check out yodude, they can hook you up with a SS catback with your choice of mufflers and resonators.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Cost me 99 dollars for the muffler and then for all the instalation and tubing it was 85 dollars. Here is the best pic got right now.
L8er Jon

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
i'd go with a cat-back system for the best gains/reliability. some things to keep in mind if you are going to do custom: make sure the shop uses mandrel bends instead of crush bends (crush bends are far more common because they are cheaper, but they will cause the diameter of the pipe to be slightly smaller at the bends as it has been crushed.) make sure it it made out of stainless steel.

if you're not sure how to go about this i'd suggest just buying an aftermarket cat-back. they can be had for very cheap (some under $300) like the MBRP, Magnaflow, or YoDude and they're mandrel bent with stainless steel construction.

Nate

·
Registered
84 Posts
You should go with an aftermarket cat-back. Reliablity is so much better and customer service for focus parts retailers is top-notch.
What is your goal for this car? If you're lookin to go FI, then a 2.5" system would be ideal. If you're planning on simply making your car more fun to drive, then you should go with a 2.25" system. IMO, a 2.5" system is just too big, and you lose some bottom-end torque with it. I have the 2.5" Borla system and I can feel a noticable loss in bottom-end power. However, I don't regret buying the system b/c what it lacks in bottom-end, it completely makes it up at high RPMs. Tons of power above 4000 rpm, pulls like a freight train. I hope this helps ya out

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SaxManZX3:

I love the look of yours, do u still have the resonator, what size tubing did u use?? what size is that muffler, what type of muffler is it. How is the tone.

Everyone else:
Yodude has stuff i like but i am also liking power tone stuff too! It is gonna come down to money for me.

How many mufflers and resonators are there stock??
Do you know if we need resonators??

[ 01-28-2003, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: 03zx3 ]

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
It is a powertech muffler. The rest is just piping. After the bracket at the cat they cut it off and put the tubing from the bracket to the muffler. It sounds pretty good. I havent heard any other Foci with an exhaust system so i dont know if it could soud better or worse. I am not sure on the size but the muffler is damn big. It gurgles alot but thats a common thing with Foci(Zetec) from what i understand. L8er Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts