Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know cars somewhat well, and the focus is my first real project car, but I'm finding the descriptions of the exhaust systems confusing.

I THINK I can go for the FC Race header, then the FC flex pipe, put in a borla cat back in.. but will that give me a cat converter?

is there a way to have the FC race header with a cat? i need a cat? and i want the race header?

thx.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by oZZ:
I know cars somewhat well, and the focus is my first real project car, but I'm finding the descriptions of the exhaust systems confusing.

I THINK I can go for the FC Race header, then the FC flex pipe, put in a borla cat back in.. but will that give me a cat converter?

is there a way to have the FC race header with a cat? i need a cat? and i want the race header?

thx.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I THINK I can go for the FC Race header, then the FC flex pipe, put in a borla cat back in.. but will that give me a cat converter?

No, when you install a Race Header it get rids of the cat and is illegal thats why it states its for off road use.

Yes you can have a FC Race Header with a High Flowing cat like some ppl have done on here. It will require custom exhaust work and welding that can be done at an exhaust shop..the cat WILL NOT bolt directly on with a race header....

you need a cat? Yes to pass emmissions..but you can do what I am doing and many others and that is...Install the Race Header leave the cat off and when emmisions time comes just put the stock exhaust components back on....

do you want a race header? Only you can determine what you want...
but It is the best power you can add to your focus...You can do a shroty header, Random Tech Cat,flex pipe and cat back that will all blot on with no custom work..but its a hell of a lot more money and produced less power....get the FS Race Header & Flex combo..awsome power,tone,finish and quality..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my question "i need a cat?" the '?' was a typo =). i know i need a cat.. anyways.. if i custom weld the cat after the race header, does it still work? I know the cat needs to run at a certain temperature for it to be effective... if i weld it after the headers, then weld the flexpipe on after it, will it still work?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by oZZ:
my question "i need a cat?" the '?' was a typo =). i know i need a cat.. anyways.. if i custom weld the cat after the race header, does it still work? I know the cat needs to run at a certain temperature for it to be effective... if i weld it after the headers, then weld the flexpipe on after it, will it still work?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No it still wont work...You will still fail emmisons and still get a CEL..The only reason to put a cat on a race header is for peace of mind...and spend money thats not needed...just replace the stuff when emmisions time comes...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh yeah, i know for emmisions testing i'll have to swap back to stock, i'm mostly concerned about me polluting the world.. i'd rather not do it =)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Originally posted by FocusOnMyZeTec:
No it still wont work...You will still fail emmisons and still get a CEL
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">just for added clarity, the reason youll get the cel is cause the o2/mil sensors(and egr for that matter) plug into the race header, above where you could possibly locate a cat, and therefore would read emmissions prematurely. while the question of whether an aftermarket, relocated cat will work or not has never been proven, the general consensus seems to be that it wont. the main reason for this is that relocating the cat would put it out of range of the heat necessary for it to operate properly. i dont fully understand this because where it sits right now it seems like itd be absorbing the blasts of cool air from the radiator fans, even before they hit the engine. moving it to the end of the race header, if possible, right below the engine and next to the tranny, would seem like a plausible alternative to me. but who knows...

·
Registered
152 Posts
My suggestion:

SVT exhaust setup... do a search for SVT exhaust. The SVT header is a race header, and right afterwards they have a cat and a flex pipe. The header only requires minor modification to add a bung for an EGR. and you can have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I put the JBA and random Tech cat on and I was worried about the statement that it is a violation of federal emissions law to replace the cat if it is less than 5 years old or without proof that then cat was damaged in someway. I think it has to do with emissions systems having to come with 5 year warranties. I went for my annual inspection and passed-maybe because the inspector is a friend and has a JRSC miata.
Anyway, I am hanging on to the original cat in case I have to put it back on. I don't like the idea of swapping parts just to pass emissions which is why I like the JRSC-less power than a turbo but CARB legal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts