Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted before about my exhaust being to loud for me, I have race headers, ported head, ram intake, and magnaflow catback system. I dont have any stock parts to put on it. Someone suggested I get a magnaflow resonator, I went to meinike and they looked at it all and pulled out a generic resonator...it was about 5" wide, and 15" long will this smaller one have the same effect as the magnaflow? Has anyone else installed this on their car, and did it make it considerably quieter? So you know the magnaflow was about 8"/ 12" and it was $85 w/o installation, and the generic one was $65 installed.

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
i wouldn't worry too much on brand. i'd recommend you have them put in the longest, fattest resonator they have. it'll quiet you down a lot and mellow out your tone. some guys even go as far as to have the resonator installed backwards to help quiet it down.

my shop threw in a generic for about that price and i've been VERY happy with it.

Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok....i wasnt sure if it would matter how big it was or not, i'll look around and get a big one installed. Also, will it effect the hp of the car? I dont think it will restrict air flow to much, but im not sure.

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
technically, the more turbuleance you add to your exhaust, the more HP your rob. so, yes, TECHNICALLY, you will lose HP. but we're talking a ver mintue difference. what's worth more to you, .5 HP or your sanity and no tickets for noise violations?

Mike

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have a 36" magnaflow and works great, I don't think they still make it there was another thread on this w/ the website and part# posted (I can't remember where I boght) But I do belive they have a 24" magnaflow that should work!

BTW the 36" was $65 shipped

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
resonaters will help you out a lot..... i have the MBRP exhaust and a shorty with catless downpipe combo.... i pulled the resonater on the MBRP and it was almost as loud and rapsy as my friend with straight pipes on his focus.... put the resonater back in and it sounded great... they truly do make the difference

1 - 7 of 7 Posts