Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got around to trying to install my Apex'i world sport from my old zetec on my PZEV. I measured the rear can (since the PZEV gas tank is bigger) and it looks as though it'll fit. But before I even got to that part I encountered a couple problems I didnt expect.
1) Now there's no exhaust gasket
It's a ring that's set into the stock cat back....crappy.
2) There's a big friggen peg in the way! What the hell is that crap! Ford is a bunch of douchebags...GRRR.

Needless to say i'm now going to look for both a gasket and a cutting tool to grind that crap off. Well I guess someone's gotta do it first
Too bad I happen to be the one...

Anyway...here's some pictures to help out...
The strange looking flange:

The horrible peg:

This picture confirms that is actually a second cat. And it also shows the hole where that crap ass peg goes:

Finally the Apex'i and stocker side by side. The stock flexpipe must be around 2.25! It looks like the pipe going into the second cat is almost as big as the 2.4 inch apex'i exhaust. That's cool!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: Exhaust Troubles With Pics

Looks like we are finally starting to learn some things about this engine. Cool
Did you drive your car onto the side of a mound ? ?
haha

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Exhaust Troubles With Pics *UPDATE*

Looks like we are finally starting to learn some things about this engine. Cool
Did you drive your car onto the side of a mound ? ?
haha
HAHAHAH yeah... that's my 'exhaust shop' in my driveway
. Anyway... I filed down that crap nub thing here's a picture of after:

Now for the bad news. The apex'i exhaust doesn't fit, and based on the size of the can that also means the HKS doesn't fit (which is the same size). The following should not fit also: maganflow, borla, bosal, pacesetter, or actually now that I look around at the rest of them...none should fit! Great huh! The thermal is the one with the smallest 2nd can, but it's offset too close to the gas tank, and will rub also. My apex'i is on, but it's like I dont have any hangers, its just in solid contact with the body (and the gas tank). So...now i've gotta sell my apex'i I guess....
I love that exhaust with all my heart too...and it sounds soooo damn fine on the PZEV!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and BTW...removing that 2nd cat makes the car smell like it has no cat at all! I was very amazed! And....this thing even when i had no exhaust on it at all isn't nearly as loud as the zetec was! Much more mellow! This engine sounds really cool

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

yeaa..I couldve told you it wasnt gonna fit from the beggining...
Focussport tried this with there exhaust for the zetec and ran into exactly the samethings you did..wouldnt fit and it was hitting the gas tank..you dont want something that gets that hot close to and deffinetly not hitting the gas tank! They have created an entire other exhaust for the PZEV platform..should be nice.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Focussport tried this with there exhaust for the zetec and ran into exactly the samethings you did..wouldnt fit and it was hitting the gas tank..you dont want something that gets that hot close to and deffinetly not hitting the gas tank! They have created an entire other exhaust for the PZEV platform..should be nice.
Yeah...too bad I cant wait for it
Now i need to get something soon...unless that exhaust tape stuff holds up for a while!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

Yeah...too bad I cant wait for it
Now i need to get something soon...unless that exhaust tape stuff holds up for a while!
just run with no exhaust and open header.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yeah...that seems really dumb though...especially if i have to do it for a few months.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
199 Posts
I wonder if the AEM will fit!?! It's can isn't that big at all, Focuspimp1981 has an AEM SS catback on his Zetec right now, he is going to attempt to install it on the PZEV he's buying when he gets back from the Gulf next year.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder if the AEM will fit!?! It's can isn't that big at all, Focuspimp1981 has an AEM SS catback on his Zetec right now, he is going to attempt to install it on the PZEV he's buying when he gets back from the Gulf next year.
The AEM's can is bigger than my Apex'i's. It wont fit, trust me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts