Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,, Im new here...just got a 2002 Silver ZX3 5-speed... happy with it :). anyways.... i want an exhaust system...I do know a lot about cars, but i was wondering if it would pay to get my pipes reran at a muffler shop ...like 2.25" from the cat-back and then bolt on a nice OBX B5 muffler...I was wondering if i'd experience any performance gains.? my friend in my team has an OBX muffler with stock piping, sounds beautiful and deep..I like the Steeda/Borla exhaust but it is a lot of money and i dont like the looks :-\ anyways, im out ..thanks for your time !

·
Registered
481 Posts
You could do that, but more than likely by time they are done, you will have spent as much as you would on a cat-back kit. Steeda is over priced, find a dealer selling Borla, Magnaflow, Bosal, or one of the others...

Installation is a breeze, under an hour. See this How-To article, complete with streaming video of the entire installation: http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/cat-back.htm

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by SVTRacing009:
then bolt on a nice OBX B5 muffler...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Isn't that an oxymoron?

I'm just playing. My reccomendation is with an aftermarket like the focus has to just jump on one of the systems made for it. I personally like quality exhuasts a lot, so I'm going to recommend the focussport, apexi, and thermal for you. I've got the bosal and it isn't bad, but it sounds like every other 4 cyl with an exhuast (as do the borla, magnaflow, mbrp, etc). If you want a really loud one get the vibrant
Then you'll really be farting around town.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Personally I love Magnaflow.

I had a VW Passat VR6 before my current Focus, and I did the same thing you want to do to your Focus. It sounded really nice and deep...but I'm thinking it's because it was a VR6 engine. Now with my allmighty Zetec I don't think I can get that deep deep growl unless I do some more mods.

-AM

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
The Bosal has a nice DEEP rumble...
It sounds NOTHING like any other 4 cylinder I've pulled next to. NO buzz at ALL.
Yes, it's a 4 cylinder, but that's not changing.
IMO, Bosal is the best-sounding, and the quietest when you're not wide-open.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You may stick with the stock piping at first, but if you plan doing further mods, especially things like flex-pipe or headers, 2.25" piping is the way to go...

Doing future-planned mods is generally a good investment...

·
Registered
816 Posts
There are a few nice mandrel bent systems in the $300 range and install could easily be done yourself, good luck - Eric

·
Registered
816 Posts
There are a few nice mandrel bent systems in the $300 range and install could easily be done yourself, good luck - Eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts