Ford Focus Forum banner

Exhaust!!!!

15K views 69 replies 15 participants last post by  MeatTooth 
#1 ·
So! What kind of exhaust do you have? Pipe size? Tip style? Does it drone? Would you buy it again of recommend it to a fellow jetter???

I have stock. It's very quiet lol. Planning on upgrading to Borla. But custom since I don't like the options available.

#2 ·
Hmmmm I wonder if we can turn this into the official MK3 exhaust thread???? Thoughts anyone?

#3 ·
I have fswerks, started out with the race when it first came out. Love the sound of it but on my 42 mile drive to work ( all highway) it had a noticeable drone. Got the stealth conversion and absolutely love it. Noticeably quieter but still a great sound. Quality is top notch and instillation is a breeze. Would recommend it to anyone.

#4 ·
I love my Magnaflow. It looks great, sounds awesome, is well made, a breeze to install, and no drone. I would definitely buy it again (and will when I replace the Ranger with another Focus next year), and I whole-heartedly recommend it.

#5 ·
I made my custon Downpipe back. 2.5" stainless with a center resonator and a rear magnaflow muffler(from a camaro 2.5" in dual 2" out) set up for a dual tip center exit. Sound is great and noticed a nice gain in performance. strangely noticed an increase in my around the town mpg's and a slight drop in my freeway mpg's(which I am ok with since I do a lot of city driving). Would I do it again, yes. Look under my profile and check out the posted thread.

#6 ·
I have been loving the responses! But can we get some pics? That way people can visualize this quickly. Keep them coming guys it's great!

#9 ·
Thanks. I thought about it, but honestly it would be more time consuming and non-cost effective to do it. With all the great exhausts out there I couldnt price it to be competitive. Besides, I kinda like being a little different in the custom parts department :)

#11 ·
I have not posted on here for a while... I have a sedan and there is only 1 company that makes a catback for the sedan. That being said I started with just deleting the rear most muffler and installing a pipe that fallowed the factory bends and exited out of the right rear. The sound was very nice and little to no drone. I wanted more. I now have the OBX long tube header on and the noise level did increase a little and at higher revs it sounded a little too raspy for me. There was an issue with the catalytic converter that was solved by 2 spark plug non foulers, Porsche Boxter wide band air fuel ratio sensor (longer wire than stock), and extending the rear O2 wires. On the highway I get about 42MPG and in the city with HARD driving I get about 28MPG. In just a test (I was bored) I removed the very first resonator and it sounded HORRIBLE. I now have an $84 Magnaflow resonator in its place. There is a drone now but the sound from idle to about 2800rpm sounds very throaty. I have planes to install another Magnaflow muffler in the factory rear most position in the future.

***I am running the factory piping size of 2"***

#13 ·
On the collector. I wanted the air/fuel sensor to read all 4 cylinders and not just 1. The factory sensor will only reach one cylinder. I had to extend the rear o2 wires about 12" to reach a spot on the down tube clear of anything that it might hit under hard acceleration.

#15 ·
I've got an FSWERKS race system on the way, when it's installed I'll shoot some pics and throw up a video clip too. Can't wait.

#16 ·
Pics of the tip of the FSWERKS race system (didn't take pics of the full system, not enough floor space):

Installing it on Sunday! :D

#17 ·
I recently had the Magnaflow 15138 catback system installed on my sedan. It gave it a nice deep tone, however it wasn't as loud as I was hoping it would be. It did, however, sound better when my back seats were folded down, I guess because there was less isolation between me and the muffler. Not sure if I would do it again, I'll have to see if it opens up at all. On the plus side, I've yet to have any popping or garggling, and this is one of the only systems I've heard that doesn't do it from videos I've seen, which was one of the bigger factors as to why I purchased it. Definitely not ricey.

#18 ·
The FSWERKS Race catback exhaust is now installed on my Focus. :) It sounds great, and definitely improves the response and power of the car. I don't have any dyno numbers yet (and won't for a month or two), but the benefit is pretty dramatic and immediately noticeable. Is it loud? YES. It's loud. Is it obnoxious? No, not really. It drones a little bit on the freeway at about 3.5k RPMs, but the drone gives way to an excellent scream when you hit the powerband. Idle is a deep, boxer-like burble and rumble. I honestly didn't think a Focus could sound like that.

In terms of installing the system itself, it was pretty hassle-free for two people using jacks and jackstands (and an airgun), minus the annoyance of getting the stock system off the car (because of how it passes through a crossbar and the suspension). The sound and the power are both out of this world. Clips/photos soon!

My only complaint is the provided clamps and default positioning make getting the large dual-tip to clear the lower plastic valence a little tight/difficult. I still need to adjust mine to make sure nothing melts. Minor issue, really.

#19 ·
Excellent!!! Love hearing this and would love to see the pics of the installed product or if you have pics from the install that would be great too!

#21 ·
Installed on the car. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics during the install (a camera barely would have fit under there anyways), and this pic was taken in fading light. I'll do a few clips/better pics of it tomorrow if I get a chance.

#22 ·
Ok so no drone below 3500rpm? I am thinking of the race exhaust now for my sedan. Then again I could always just get the stealth and replace the muffler piece but why do it twice?

I wonder if they can get different tips???

#23 ·
You could go to a local exhaust shop, they tend to have a bunch of different tip options.

#24 ·
That's true good idea. I really want dual exhaust with ATS styled tips.

#25 ·
This is how the tip looks from the side. I have no trouble seeing it several feet away from the car. It's just that from directly behind, it's a little hard to see, which is fine. At least it's not a 'me-too' JDM-clone coffee can. The split tip is a really nice piece itself and sets the FSWERKS unit apart from the crowd.

And it drones a tiny bit around 3200 rpms when the car is at load (like a rise in the road or the like). But if you're keeping it at around 65mph with the five speed, it's fine.

#26 ·
The split tip is a really nice piece itself and sets the FSWERKS unit apart from the crowd.
The Magnaflow exhaust system also comes with the split tip.

Regardless, I think I'd prefer the split tip over the two single tips in your typical "dual exhaust" setup.

#27 ·
For some reason, all the 2012+s I've seen with the Magnaflow is the single-tipped, dual exit system? Ah well. The only option I wish the FSWERKS came with was a burnt SS/neochrome tip, I like those, and it would match my shift knob, haha. :)

#28 ·
I definitely feel that the fswerks tips are quality as is the whole exhaust, from such an exceptional company one would expect that.

I will have to do the dual exhaust set up and see how it goes. :)

To each their own on it. But excellent exhausts regardless

#29 ·
That'll be interesting to see. I wonder how re-routing it would affect the power gains. I basically chose the exhaust based on dyno sheets. It's just a bonus that it sounds amazing and looks good. :D

#30 ·
I think it would be negligible at best any difference in gains/losses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.