Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please explain to me what the different offsets mean... i have seen 40 mm 42mm and also 45 mm offsets...which is better?
i found a website that has really cheap prices for wheels click here will these fit. its got 4 x 100 mm however it does look like they have an alternate bolt pattern..

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Offset is the relation of the position of the wheel hub to the wheel.
If you move the hub inward (lower number offset), the wheel is moved outward away from the strut. This also moves the wheel's outer lip closer to the wheel well opening/fender.
If you move the hub outward (higher number offset), the wheel is moved inward towards the strut, and away from the wheel well opening.
The Focus uses a high offset from the factory. The higher the offset number, the more the wheel hub is moved outward, and the wheel placed closer to the strut.
Some will argue what is better, but the closer you can stay to the factory offset, the better. Not only will this help reduce rubbing with a dropped suspension, but it will keep better with the suspension's factory geometry. Alot of wheels are available in the 42mm, and is probably the most used because of the variety of styles available. The stock SVT has 49.5mm for the 17" wheel. If you can get 45mm in the style you like, that would be best.

·
Sir Buffs A LOT
1,756 Posts
First of all that wheel will not fit due to the bolt pattern being 4X100 and the Focus being 4X108. Secondly, go to Tire Rack's site & there is a section under "Wheels" that is I think called Wheel Tech. There are various subjects covered including "offset". Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts