Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please give me a presice answer as to how to fix this problem? Sometimes it sticks other time it does not. Took it off cleaned off all carbon and sout lubed cable put back on. still the same. It feels sometime as if the pedal does not want to puh down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
March 2002) After reinstalling the throttle body with the new TPS mounting holes for the automatic, and a week or two of driving I started to notice what felt like the gas pedal was sticking and was requiring me to "pop" the pedal. After that initial pop everything was smooth, but anytime there was no pressure and the pedal and the car was essentially at idle, that first press of the pedal had to be another pop to get by the stickiness. As it turns out, and after seeing some other people experiencing that sticky feeling, I decided to take a look around under the hood. What I found out was that the idle screw on the throttle body was completely "backed off" and not making contact with the "hammer" on the throttle body linkage. I could easily place a piece of paper between the two. Just moving the linkage by hand I could feel the stickiness in the linkage. I adjusted the idle screw out until it made contact with the linkage hammer(see picture) and then advanced it another 1/4 turn to push the linkage just enough to open the throttle a very tiny amount. After doing that, no more sticky pedal or throttle.

Go to this site for more details: http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/65mm.htm
Your answer should be at the bottom of the page...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Or maybe someone could do a search because this has been covered many times before.

You have to adjust the throttle stop screw so the throttle plate never touches the bore, even when closed.

Please use the search function.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does this fix work on the original Zetec throttle body? That stickiness just off idle sounds like the problem I've been having. Dealer replaced the throttle cable but it's still there.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
on the original zetec TB there is a non adjustable setting for idle...

what i did to fix it (after i ported it) was to remove as much residue inside as i could... helps out quite a bit, actually.

I think it is basically the buildup on the side of the butterfly that contacts the TB itself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by Generic Focus:
Or maybe someone could do a search because this has been covered many times before.

You have to adjust the throttle stop screw so the throttle plate never touches the bore, even when closed.

Please use the search function.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">bleh you poop heads and your search bs...

There are many contributing factors that cause the sticky throttle..The first and far most is "usually" related to the idle screw..After finding a good setting where idle is normal and it is still sticking then it is something else...

It could be that springs and hinges are just getting worn and beat and need to be re-oiled..a smimple spray of WD40 on any parts that move will greatly help this situation.Also spray a shot of WD40 under the main gas pedal inside the car where is pulls the throttle..Just try not to get any on your throttle or you will be slipping and sliding...lol

Lastly if none of that works it is just build that lies inside the TB..Pull off your top intake tube and give her a good cleaning by opeing the TB to WOT with your hand..just use a damp cloth to clean the mess so its nice and smooth...this will clear your problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts