Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Qualifying in 2006 - your views

Your opinion wanted on two exciting proposals

The Formula One teams have come up with ideas for possible 2006 qualifying formats. We would like your feedback on two particular suggestions. Check out the key points of each below, then vote for your preferred option at the bottom of the page.
http://www.formula1.com/news/3312.html

VOTE!

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Edumacate me here; it's been awhile since I payed close attention to the details... before I vote; what's wrong with the current qualifying format?

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of the problems with the current quali format:

1. Must qualify on the amount of fuel you plan on using for the start of the race. Which doesn't put the best drivers head-to-head in what qualifying should be > all out speed.

2. Single lap qualifying doesn't allow for driver's to push for the maximum because they drive with a small degree of caution because they don't want to spin and be forced to the back of the grid.

Also, some drivers (such as Coulthard), simply can't put it together for a single lap attack... of course that's their problem, but it leaves some drivers out of the mix.

·
19,806 Posts
Well, then, I vote for proposal #2.

Thanks for clarifying the qualifying.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Well, both of these proposals offer multiple laps for timing, and no fuel restrictions.

I like the proposal 1 better because it forces the drivers to make good times in two sessions. Proposal 2 is more dangerous, and I don't think it really accomplishes anything.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I guess drawing names out of a hat was thrown out before this point.

Can't say that I find either one overly appealing. It appears to me that it would not be one car on the track at a time.
If those are my only choices then I'd would have to say proposal 1. Just seems to me that someone that was consistantly good would start closer to the front.

·
19,806 Posts
Proposal 2 is more dangerous, and I don't think it really accomplishes anything.
Proposal 1:
- 60-minute session, split into two 25-minute ‘halves’ with a 10-minute break.
- drivers may run as many laps as they wish, but must set a time in each half.
- each driver’s best times from the first half is added to his best time from the second half to produce a final time to determine the grid.
- no fuel restrictions - cars may refuel during and after the session.

Proposal 2:
- 60-minute session.
- after 15 minutes, the five slowest cars must retire from the session and will qualify 16th to 20th on the grid.
- after a further 15 minutes, the five cars slowest during that period (times cannot be carried over from the first 15 minutes) must also retire from the session. They will qualify 11th to 15th on the grid.
- for the final 30 minutes the remaining 10 cars will compete for first to tenth place on the grid, based on the best times set in that period (times cannot be carried over from the first 30 minutes).
- drivers may run as many laps as they wish in each period.
- no fuel restrictions - cars may refuel during and after the session.

How can prop 2 be any more dangerous with less cars on the circuit than prop 1?

Not trying to argue; I'm just not thinking clearly yet today.

·
19,806 Posts
That's true.

Guess I was only thinking about the last part of the session, when only the 10 fastest had the option of going out...

WTH's wrong with a 2-hour session and 2 four-lap stints?

Two chances to get the setup right.

(I know; it's not what's being offered...)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
what's going on with F1 lately? I can't even keep up they change the rules so often. Voted number 2 because it seems like it would put the most well rounded drivers out in front. Also it would give more to watch. I get bored with some of these races lately. Like only 6 cars starting a race? WTF?

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
Well, both of these proposals offer multiple laps for timing, and no fuel restrictions.

I like the proposal 1 better because it forces the drivers to make good times in two sessions. Proposal 2 is more dangerous, and I don't think it really accomplishes anything.
yeh proposal 2 will get rid of the slow cars thru out the session, then the faster cars will do better times cause less traffic on the track.

I voted for the current system

·
Registered
230 Posts
I like prop2 because it forces everyone out there early, instead of all the fast cars sitting in the pits waiting for the track to be clean and warmed up while the scrubs like Minardi and Jordan clear the track. Plus it clears the track as it goes on, it will be like a mini-race and should be exciting to watch.

As far as danger goes, it's no more dangerous than the race on Sunday as there are all 20 cars on the track at once there (and they are more bunched up in the race).

Plus the current format sucks, it should be at least low fuel and not race fuel. And the tires should be what you start the race with, not the "qualifying tires" that they used to make, but they do need to bring back tire changes imo.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Prop 2 here.. sounds like qualifying will be a ton of fun to watch!!! The only downside is the beating that the cars take while qualifying.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Believe it or not, I voted to keep the current qualifying. I like not knowing until the race begins just what everyone's cards are and if they are trying to do some weird strategy to win. Finding out Kimi qualifies second overall, and then even ends up having 20 laps more fuel than anyone else was extremely impressive.

Though option 2 sounds "cool", its going to hurt the privateer's sponsorship, because no doubt the Minardi's and Jordans will now get their 1/12th coverage of that first 15 minutes.

Its almost set in stone that the first 15 minutes will drop Minardi, Jordan and probably someone else with an engine problem.

The next 15 minutes will drop Sauber and RedBull, plus 1 more.

The last 15 will be Ferrari, Renault, MB/Mclaren, BMW, BAR/Honda and Toyota. I.e. The boys with the factory bucks. The teams that need the advertising money the LEAST.

Fix the 1 set of tires rule!!! Fix the 1 engine for 2 races (+10 places) rule!!! Qualifying now, really isn't that bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts