Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just gotten all of my cylinder head issues resolved but now I have a different problem.First off my car idles really bad. Starts up fine then its idles about 1000rpm then falls off to about 700rpm and almost dies. I dont have a cel so I dont think its a sensor. Secondly when driving and I go to 5th gear at about 75-80 it falls flat on it face. It will not hold the rpms like it should. I am also burning alot more gas but I think that is due to the fact that I have to down **** to 4th alot beacue of it not holding rpms. I have ordered the DPFE and TPS because they were cheap to try and see if that helps. What else could be causing this? Thanks

[ 02-01-2003, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: quicksilver ]

·
Registered
151 Posts
hey man , if that stuff doesnt work , try cleaning the MAF sensor with some electrical cleaner.Also , check that the connection is good and that the 2 little diodes in it that heat up are still there and not broken.I had a similar prob and it turned out to be the MAF.

cory

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Do you still have the egr system hooked up on you car If you do you might want to try pulling the egr off and cleaning it or just see if it's cluged up or something an egr can affect you gas consumtion and also affect the way your car idles just a thought

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cleaned the MAF. Didnt help. I did notice that I have a crack in my egr tube right behind the bracket. Will this cause my condition? I was going down th eroad today and I lost all power and the exclamation point light on. I think My negative battery terminal is loose. Ill hav eto check that out too. what a pos!

·
Registered
836 Posts
That thing with the exclamation point happend to me once and never again. Do you have a CAT on your car or do you have a full length race header?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a check engine light on my car so I took it to get scanned and they said that it was a bad upper o2 sensor and a bad MAF reading. They reset the computer and It drove w/o a CEL for almost 2 days but it came on this morningn when I got to work. I am going to put back my stock maf in and see what happens. Could a combination of the 2 be causing my driveablility problems? Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts