Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Cantankerous Quacker
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been much mention of this game on the forums. Granted, the Jet isn't exactly a hopping place of late, but some of us still slink about peering over counter tops.

Anyhoo... I'm looking forward to the game. And it doesn't help that I snuck into Wilko's house and drank some of his kool-aid. Pre ordered it today.

I don't usually purchase games new, preferring to wait a bit for Steam to put them on sale. And I consider pre-ordering a game to be borderline evil, but apparently I haven't been fully exorcised yet. Plus I really wanted the perks poster that is offered as a bonus with a pre-order. :what::screwy::lol:

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
Which pitcher did you drink from? The green pitcher is for the kids. It's fortified with vitamins and minerals... Being an adult and drinking that stuff will lock you right up. You might want to take a stool softener before hitting the latrine.

Wait a minute... I see that you posted yesterday. Sorry man. Too late.

Oh and the clear pitcher is diluted prune juice. I recently increased my fiber intake, and that helps with regulating the system.
Anyways, there you have it. Just a word of caution before sneaking a drink from my fridge.

:lol:

And as for me and FO4. I am not going to pre-order, but I will purchase it on day one on the Xbone. I'll pay for it, then go to work. When I get home it will be ready and waiting.

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
Are you S.P.E.C.I.A.L.?

Strength...

Microsoft is youtubing these short videos. I wish they were longer, but oh well.

I was going to wait and post these, but I decided to post them as they are released, so I created some place holders for the final 3.

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
There you have it. All 7 of the Special attributes. These introductions only skim the surface of what they grant you in the game. I am sure there is much more to each of the attributes, there was in FO3 and FONV.

Those who order or purchase the special editions of the game will receive the Special poster that was shown in each of the videos.

·
Cantankerous Quacker
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
9 days to go.

I was a quarter way into a long post detailing how and why Fallout 3 wasn't technically even possible according to story canon when I decided that it really didn't matter. While there are some pretty gaping plot holes, who cares? I enjoy the games regardless of whether or not they're consistent with the originals.

Plus Im hoping that Obsidian branches off from what they did with Fallout: New Vegas. There's the whole story line available from Van Buren, which was going to be the original Fallout 3.

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
Seeing that you played the original Fallout games, it's refreshing to see that you are able to enjoy the new game(s) despite their problems. I read a little bit of No Mutants Allowed looking for some back story in the Fallout Universe, and boy are those guys hard-core purists. The general consensus over there is, FO3 and up can go ____ itself. :lol:

I had fun with FO3, and I see a lot that is wrong with the game's universe but it's still a fun title. I guess that is what matters most.

Well that and resolution, according to some fanboi circles. Nevermind the fact that that 1080p is crap in comparison to 4K. :what:

·
Cantankerous Quacker
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I might be a bit hardcore, but Im definitely not a purist. :screwy: :lol:

The biggest stumbling block to the entire story line is the Forced Evolutionary Virus. How exactly did it end up on the east coast? Especially when it was destroyed (again) when the West coast Enclave and Mariposa base was destroyed (again).

Oh wait, Vault- Tek had their own supply... What?? Apparently FEV was handed out like Tootsie Rolls, because it was everywhere. :what::dunno:

Honestly, Im not going to sit there and nit pick the story line. Im going to sit back and enjoy the pretty colors that exploding heads make.

But 4K is awesome! Too bad most of those fanbois don't have the muscle to run true 4k. Hell... Im not even running 4K!

Yet. :evilgrin:

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
Trailer...

And a nice little treat for me towards the end.

I might keep her in the Vault 111 Jumpsuit for the entire game. Dat A.. :eek: :lol:

·
Cantankerous Quacker
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Fallout 4...

I want to say beware the hype machine, but I honestly can't because so far the game isn't "that" bad. Yes, you'll see my gripes below and might conclude I don't like that game, but that's not actually correct. I am enjoying the game, but it just hasn't sucked me in like the other Fallouts did and I can't accurately put my finger on a specific reason as to why. There are however several accumulated annoyances. Not big enough to be game breaking, but like someone squeezing the toothpaste in the middle, it's enough to annoy.

These first few won't matter for the console people, but for the PC gamers, it's somewhat annoying.

No native widescreen support. Natively supported aspect ratios are 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10. Which means that your resolutions start at 800x600 and run to 2560x1440. Interestingly enough, the 16:10 ratios only go up to 1920x1200 (24" screen). No native support for 2560x1600 (30" screen). So if you have an AMD Eyefinity set up of an Nvidia Surround set up, ultra wide screen (34" 21:9) monitor, you're SOL. No native support. You have to hack the ini file to get those resolutions. Which leads to further complication. On UWS and triple monitor set ups, once you add the proper resolution, it will of course display, but then your in game field of view and the menus are distorted without having/knowing the proper adjustments corrections added.

Yes, UWS and triple screen users are still a minority, but this is a AAA title. Even Electronic *******s and Udon'tPlay add these resolutions natively.

Alongside the resolution issue is the fact that the game is set to default to windowed mode. Not really a bad idea if you only have one screen. Not such a great idea for those of us with more than one screen. In my case, attempting to run in windowed mode resulted in the game running not on my main center screen, but on my left screen. Again, had to hack the ini file to get this to work properly.

So on release day, I spent my few remaining hours after work not playing the game, but trying to get the game to actually work properly. Not a way to start things off. :bang:

Prime annoyance #2. Lack of continuity. Specifically item and object lore. Throughout the Fallout games there has been a fairly even level of item and appearance continuity. Fallout 3 took a turn from that somewhat, but it wasnt overly jarring. The nuka cola bottles looked like the ones you found in the original game, the 10mm pistol and sub gun had a familiar look to them. So did many of the other items found throughout FO3. Fallout 4 has completely taken a left turn and jumped the rails on this and it's actually bugging the hell out of me. Even minor things like mailboxes are completely different. And the Nuka Cola bottles? WTF.

Prime annoyance #3. The SPECIAL system. See above about continuity. They radically changed this one up. I won't say I hate it, because with the game having no level caps, it makes sense. But damn... It's a jarring change.

Graphically, the game looks really good and can be quite the resource pig. I can run at ultra on the single screen, but if I were able to run wide screen (7680x1440) then I would have to fine tune things. In that case I would probably be able to run at medium to high on most settings. Fallout 4 is based on Skyrims Creation Engine. I've seen some amazing engine tweaks in Skyrim and I can't wait to see the mods that will show up for Fallout 4. There are already a few out there, but the big modders are still working on things and I prefer to wait till most mods are optomized for the mod installer that I use. Fewer issues and easier to control things that way.

More to follow as I get deeper into it.

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
They should have had ultra-wide resolutions built into the game. There is no reason you had to modify ini files just to get the game up and running.

Windowed... Seriously? What is this, Angry Birds or something? Yeah, Bethesda needs to fix that, ASAP! I am sure there is a huge outcry about that somewhere.

I haven't gotten the game on the Xbone yet, but from what I have read; both the PS4 and Xbox One versions suffer from frame rate issues. Bethesda stuck to 1080p on both systems, and because of that the frames dip from 30FPS or slow to a crawl when things gets lively. Listening to the fanbois on either side, you'd think both of the systems are playing slideshows all through the game. I should have it next week.

edit:
For those who don't understand what the big deal with the NuKa-Cola bottles is...

Fallout 3 -

Fallout 4 -

10mm Pistol

Fallout 3 -

Fallout 4 -

·
Cantankerous Quacker
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the pic grabs Bill. Although I think it's just you and me that actually read this thread.

I wasn't going to get into the FPS fiasco on my last post, but since it's been mentioned, here we go.

Bethesda claimed that they were going to maintain a steady 30FPS on the consoles. There have been (disputed) claims that the game drops to single digits on the consoles. Similarly Bethesda stated that they were not going to lock the framerate on the PC, which they didn't. They did however tie the framerate to the gamespeed. Crank up the framerate and you crank up the speed of the game to some extent. Not supposed to work that way. This is also unsubstantiated.

Playstation 4 woes

Sketchy PC framerate report

I run almost a constant 60fps on the single screen. Were I to go wide screen with my current set up (780ti x2), I could expect 30-40fps at medium to medium high settings. I tried ultra settings and crashed.

·
Cantankerous Quacker
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Radioactive storms. :what::eek:

Cool visual effects to watch. But sucky because you randomly get radiated. I assume if you got into an enclosed structure that you would not get radiated during the storm.

Now its time to throw another continuity flag on this play.

Boston is 440 miles from Washington DC, yet DC didn't have radiation storms. And speaking of windstorms, if there is one place where your guaranteed to have some kick ass windstorms, it's Vegas and the surrounding desert. But FO;NV didn't have radiation storms. So... Is Boston a Bermuda Triangle for weird weather phenomena?

Okay, back to getting my wind tossed hairdo radiated.

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
Having never played any of the FO games until now... are you people just saying random words? :lol:

I caved and picked it up yesterday. Spent a little bit running around, getting to Sanctuary, messing with crafting. Then I had to make a special chair for the old woman. And that's when I discovered you can scavenge stuff for settlement crafting. A few hours later I'd scavenged every possible thing I could around Sanctuary, and sent my OCD into near cardiac arrest when I couldn't get my perimeter walls to line up properly. :lol:

Has the Nuka-Cola bottle issue been brought up before? i.e. has Coca-Cola made a stink about how closely they resemble Coke product? because I'm pretty sure Coke has the wasp waist shaped bottle trademarked.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts