Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed this today and it is awesome, you touch the gas and it goes, and it just wants to rev and pull like crazy. I don't see why they don't put this on at the factory becuase it make the car so much more fun to drive. It makes it real easy to spin the tires even when you don't want to now. One question for you guys though, even if you adjust the idle screw real far out or in the ECU is going to make it idle where it wants it too, right? Anyways I used the digital readout on the odometer and dialed my idle in right at 700rpm's like it was with the stock and tightened up the nut real good on it to keep it there, is that all there is too it? Thanks

·
Registered
793 Posts
It is highly likely that the PCM (ECU) will compensate. It's a smart little bugger for a low end car, but it sure does its' job. If you really want idle adjustment, get a custom burned chip.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i ran into an idle problem with mine, ( not really a problem ) few weeks after the tb install, i had a bit of pedal sticking, so i adjusted the idle screw, it threw a cel and p1506 code. it did idle about 850-900 rpms. since then i backed the screw off just to where it wouldnt stick, it droped the idle to 750 or so and no more light. you did bore the intake manifold?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope did not bore the intake, becuase FC said it really wasn't nessasary to do, and I didn't want to mess with boring out the manifold. I know I am not getting all of the performance I could with it not being bored out but what is a tenth of a horsepower anyways, that is how I see it, car runs great and I am happy about that.

·
Registered
394 Posts
What does the 65 mm bore diameter refer to? Does this TB have a 65 mm throttle plate ?

·
Registered
328 Posts
could someone post the differences in the bored out and non bored intake manifold with the fc 65mm throttle body?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Yes this TB has a 65mm throttle plate. As for boring the intake manifold, seems to me I removed enough material to almost match the gasket that was supplied with the TB. Increased the diameter of the intake inlet approx. 6mm. Now as for performance I can't say because the mods were done at the same time.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>I don't see why they don't put this on at the factory becuase it make the car so much more fun to drive. It makes it real easy to spin the tires even when you don't want to now.<hr></blockquote>

I think you just answered why the car doesent come with a 65mm throttle body from the factory.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea but so does a v8 mustang, or any other car with power, probably becuase this is an economy car, but still fun to add stuff to it for more power. By the way the instructions that came with it says the manfold is 60mm and the TB is of course 65mm, so the difference in boring it out and not might be that if you do bore it out you might be on the threshhold of too much air coming in, as in why their isn't say a 70mm TB for the focus, too much incoming air?

[ 08-15-2002: Message edited by: ASUFocusZX3 ]</p>

·
Registered
838 Posts
i think i'm ordering this tomorrow...

i have been picking my brain trying to figure out what to do next and when i saw zed's dyno it looked the same as the 3 piece kit so i know i will actually feel the differnece. i felt it with the pullys and it has the same gains in almost the exact places.

anyone have a dyno on the mass air flow sensor yet?? i know the pullys are like 4 and the throttle body is 4

·
Registered
328 Posts
i got my tb from a shop in town for 250. i'm putting it on in the morning.

·
Registered
143 Posts
ASU, the reason for not having a 70mm tb would be fitting it properly to the stock intake manifold. i like fruit used the gasket to see how much of the manifold to remove. if you have looked at the car with the tb off you will notice a bypass port for air to flow with the tb closed. after boring there is a very small piece of the manifold left there, if you matched a 70mm tb to it you would simply run out of stock manifold. boring the manifold not only allows more air to flow into the intake but it lessens the air turbulance comming in threw the tb. the stock MAS also limits the amount of incomming air. cone filters and straight tubes help to straighten out air flow.

more flow = more go

·
Registered
328 Posts
just got back from letting my computer reset itself, love the top gear roll on. definately worth the money.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've been on the fence on getting one of these for some time but there seems to be a lot of complaints along with the praise for the FC 65mm TB. Is it true that it's been redesigned and the new version works a lot better? And if so, How do I know if I'm getting the newer version when purchasing one?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mine is great but I don't know the differences in versions, the only thing I know is mine has four holes for the TPS to screw into and that you have to use with one fits your needs, be it manual or auto, so that might mean I have the newest version or something else, anyone have any ideas how to find out what version you have. Actually I called today and FC told me that if you have the version with both manual and auto TPS screw holes then you have the newest version.

[ 08-16-2002: Message edited by: ASUFocusZX3 ]</p>

·
Registered
328 Posts
yeah mine has four holes too, one set is for the automatic, and another set for the manual. you have to have four holes to get it to work on an auto, the earlier ones didn't have four holes, so the idle was all messed up on the autos.

·
Registered
518 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by narcolepsy123456:
yeah mine has four holes too, one set is for the automatic, and another set for the manual. you have to have four holes to get it to work on an auto, the earlier ones didn't have four holes, so the idle was all messed up on the autos.<hr></blockquote>

I have a 5 speed, so there's never been problems(or too many problems) with any of the manual versions?

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: Folk-S ]</p>

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is it possible to put the FC 65mm TB into my 5 speed (european) foci? My Focus is still bone stock except for a K&N drop-in panel filter.
So is the factory air intake/box restrictive in any way to the 65mm TB?

·
Registered
328 Posts
i'd say you could, shouldn't be any problem, just make sure you set your tps in the correct holes, but it'll be marked. the stock airbox will restrict it somewhat, or at least thats what the instructions say. you'll get more power with a cold air intake and 65mm tb combo.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Focus-Wagon-driver:
Is it possible to put the FC 65mm TB into my 5 speed (european) foci? My Focus is still bone stock except for a K&N drop-in panel filter.
So is the factory air intake/box restrictive in any way to the 65mm TB?
<hr></blockquote>

what engine do you have? if you have the same 2.0 zetec as us, it should be fine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts