Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys quick question... i've been having some idel problems and im just going over things to try and track this problem down... I have a 01 2.0 manual and my question is how is the TPS mounted on the side of the TB... The TB on the drivers side or the side with the TPS has 4 little holes... You can mount the TPS 2 different ways... it doesnt make that big of a difference either way but im sure this means something... so anyone know exactly which way the TPS should be screwed on??? It can only go one of 2 ways so which one do i want??? please let me know cuz i'll be boltin this back on tomorrow...

thanks
jason

·
Registered
32 Posts
put it on the way it came off the stock one on the pass side and if it doesn't idle right then turn it 180 degrees.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I hope that you can get it to work, but from what I have heard some people say about upgrading TBs, is you might have to live with the funny idle. The car might be getting a little more air then its used to, over the stock TB. I don't know how long you drove around with the 65mm TB on your car, but you might want to try disconnecting the battery for an hour and letting the ECU reset, then drive it around for a few days and hopefully the computer will figure it out.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well like i said there are 4 holes on the side of the tb... the tps is a 2 screw mount... so that means it can be mounted one of 2 ways really... is there anyway someone with this tb could take a picture of how they mounted there tps on theres... that would really help me alot here... really thinkin about it u could mount this thing 4 different ways... like i said there are 4 holes so you could screw it into 2 of the holes point it toward the firewall/ground and u could screw it into the same two holes and point it upward toward the hood... or you could do the same but for the other 2 holes... so that leaves 4 options here... which one do i want... i already removed it from my stocker so i have no clue how it used to be on the stocker.. please im gunna reinstall this tonite... can anyone help me here

thanks
jason

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah man jon u da man... thanks so much man... it looks as i had it mounted in the rite spot tho but im goin to the dealer tonite and buyin a new TPS just incase... only 30 bucks so i guess it cant hurt... thanks again man that was all i wanted

jason

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
That's an interesting picture, because I thought that from '03 on had to get a different throttle body than the 00-02.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
So did I Mike, but maybe its not an FC one or something?

Jay, if you can't get the TPS sensor to properly read...when you get to mcnews this weekend, they can configure your tune/ECU to adjust what the TPS is reading.

So if a new TPS doesn't do it, have mcnews fix it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
guys today i replaced the tps sensor and i also moved the maf to a suck through instead of blow through... im not sure if relocating the maf fixed my problems or if the tps sensor fixed it but my cars running great now... my guess is the bad idel was due to the tps and the boggin under 2g's was cuz of the maf being so far downstream but like i said its all fixed now...

thanks
jason

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Thanks for that pic with the mounting holes and whatnot. I had to realign my TPS, since I installed it with the TPS aligned with the AT holes. Idle is better now, shifting is smoother (less rev hang) and there is less of a hesitation in top-gear tip-in. much improved driveability. THANKS!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya after this weekend i'll take some pics for u guys... keep checkin the regs thread and u'll see it in about a week

jason

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Another bonus...I haven't seen a check engine light in 2 or so days. Used to live with it daily. Gone now, thanks to the TPS. Wish I know that's what it was all along.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
see u'd think a bad tps or one thats hooked up wrong would through a cel but mine didnt.... i talked to about 10 people now and none of them could believe all my problems were in the tps and that i had no cel... n yes my cel does come on at start up so i know its not burnt out..

jason

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The good thing about your car throwing a code that doesn't light the CEL is that it doesn't usually send the computer into limp-home mode. it just stores the fault for record and to void your factory warranty. HA!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts