Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I beg to differ. I enjoy my 65m TB - it's even more effective now that we've opened up the intake manifld a little bit. Just out of curiosity, Fast, do you have this part on your car?

Now, if this were the only mod to focus_rs' car, then it would probably be the wrong place to start. Howver, if he already has i/h/e, this would probably be ok.

[ 02-16-2003, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: blkfocus ]

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
no, u need more than just bolt-ons 2 warrant any real power gains. if u dont have serious work done, ur payin ~250bux 2 cure the anemic throttle response of the stock TB. port ur stocker and enjoy that til u get fairly far into ur mods and thus it'll have 2 b replaced 2 aleviate the bottleneck it'll become eventually.

case and point, i've dyno'd the same w/my ported vs a 65mm, and i've run the same 1/4mi times (repeatedly) w/both TBs. mcnews in fact threw a 65mm tb on their test car (fr head, cat cams, etc) during the 1st test (initial work), and the car didnt pick up anything due 2 the TB, only gains were seen were so at the hands of cam tuning.

u guyz r puttin a mustang-sized TB on this car, doesnt make sense, get ur car up 2 about 140whp or so...ok, go 4 it. but b sure it worx properly, b/c there have been a littny of problems w/that piece. from tps issues, multiple revisions, auto vs 5spd probs, tb that dont open 100% (via pedal, not by hand testing), and idling/cel probs.

gl,

-Ult

[ 02-16-2003, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None of you answered my question. I don't think the 70mm tb would be a waste with boost. I just want to know if the 2000 manifold will be good enough. It was in HCI a few months back.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
u didnt mention boost or what ur goals were.

2 that i say no., it might suffice, but by that time u'd want a better setup like a FR manifold...or a log style that some of these turbo guyz have created. hit up tom 4 more info....u should probe those FI guys 4 their thoughts.

-Ult

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Im with Ult on this one..

Near to stock cars even cars with bolt ons do not need that 65mm TB. Its a complete waste of money.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Here is a straight answer, no you cannot use the 2000 manifold, you can't port it enough for the openings to match. And as far as with boost, YES get the 70mm throttle body with the FC intake manifold, with a turbo, that setup could net you 50 extra hp. It is about 15hp on an all motor car.

Eric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts