Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, finally got the shocks from bat that were backordered in and got to test how they fit with the fc coilovers. I had bought the fc kit for koni's that uses a fatter rear spring and sleeve to accomodate for the fatter koni rear shock. I thought the spax shock would not be as big in diameter but it's actually bigger by about .010-.012! I had to bore out the rear sleeves to fit the shock. My custom rear springs came in too so now I have the rear all ready to go.

now here is the kicker...I thought the fronts would be easy, just cut off the perch but boy was I wrong. Turns out the front spax struts have a cap welded on the top that is a bigger diameter than the rest of the shock so the sleeve won't slide over! I didn't measure it yet but it's a much bigger difference than the rear's were. Looks like more than a 1/16th of an inch difference. So far the only way I see of getting the front to work is by wrapping some shim stock all the way around the shock so the diameter of the whole shock is increased to the size of the cap on top. Then bore out the front sleeves on the lathe so it slides over the cap and the shim. It's do-able but what a pain. Basically unless you have free access to a machine shop, it will cost you more in the long rung to get spax than koni's if you want the fc coilover's.

And before anyone asks why didn't you just get the spax coilovers it's because I wanted the ability to go back to almost stock height. I'll try and get pics up of everything this weekend to better illustrate.

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
hi

do you have a pic of the Spax front shock???

what i did in my custom FC coilover setup was
removed the from perch of the Ford Racing shocks
left the weld and let the sleve sit on that
and used a 7" tall spring for the front

chris

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey chris, yah, that is what I was expecting to do but the spax struts are different in the front than the koni's or stock shocks are.

Ah, hell I'm late for work as it is already, I'll snap a pic in a minute.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
nice lookin craftsmenship Gig

Hope it performs well even though I don't see it NOT working out well!

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey eric, thanks. I was meaning to ask you how you like your coilovers and how the ride is.

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
how tall are your front springs???
they need to be 7" or the car wont go that low,
then you have to cut off that weld and let
the sleve rest on the sway bar link bracket.
jfyi

chris

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gutted hatch..yes the fc rears are true coilovers. The space between the tire and shock is gonna be real close with my 45 mm offset attacks bringing the wheel in a little, hopefully it won't rub and need a shim. Chris has been running these for a long time now and i'm sure there are others too.

chris, thanks for the tips. The coilovers didn't come with any instructions so that's where I guessed they had to be. No biggie, time to do some more grinding. I'm going to be using the 175lb 10in long springs that came with the kit in the front.

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
ok that may not go low enough either in hte front. i had a nice gap but the car weighs alot less than yours im sure.
i have spare springs you can use on the front if you need them 7"pr and 8" pr

chris

·
Registered
188 Posts
Chris. I may need those springs. I just got my FC c/o's in today. I have to look at them. What is this cutting the front strut up about? Do I have to do that on my stock struts? Anything I have to modify on any of my shocks/struts? I am goin to use the stock ones for a bit. And I already have the Delring shims.

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
Chris. I may need those springs. I just got my FC c/o's in today. I have to look at them. What is this cutting the front strut up about? Do I have to do that on my stock struts? Anything I have to modify on any of my shocks/struts? I am goin to use the stock ones for a bit. And I already have the Delring shims.
yes you need to cut off the perch on the front shocks
or you wont be able to lower the car that much.
as you see what gig did.

·
Registered
188 Posts
So basically you are saying that I need to make it look like a shock, not a strut? Cut off the spring perch, okay. But do I need to do any shaving, like Gig did of the top of the strut body?

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
So basically you are saying that I need to make it look like a shock, not a strut? Cut off the spring perch, okay. But do I need to do any shaving, like Gig did of the top of the strut body?
no shaving required on the stock shocks

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just be real carefull and take your time when you cut the perch off smoothy. Don't want to touch or grind the main body of the shock at all if possible. Also, to be safe you should tape up the top of the shaft and the shock so no steel chips or flakes get on the shaft or under the top seal. good luck!

Chris, I'm going to try it with the springs I have for the front, if the springs that come with the kit won't let me lower the car much than what good are the coilovers? If I can't get a 2" drop out of the front like I want I'm giving Focus Central a call!

Thanks for all your help btw.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts