Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I bent up my front passenger side control arm yesterday in a minor fender bender

I'm looking for options and I always knew of the FC control arms for the front but never heard much talk about them...at least over here in the road race forum...

Anybody have any thoughts that may help in my decision of whether I should get them ($300 for a pair...not too bad)...

or should I just go for one stock control arm for cheap?

I'm sure the FC's have an performance advantage over the stockers but is it an advantage worth spending money on and using?

Thanks.

BTW, I did do a search.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I caution people against them, but must admit I've never even had them in my hands.

All I know, is that they aren't designed very well. Rod ends are not supposed to be subject to a bending force. I know you see it all the time, but you are not *supposed* to. It's just bad design practice.

All braking and acceleration forces will try to bend the shnak of that control arm. Not good.

Also remember, Focus Central is a company who cannot manage to design a header with welds that don't crack after what, like 3 attempts. And then there is the spotty customer service record... Would you trust this company to fabricate THE most important part on your car?

I know I don't.

If you want to see what I consider properly designed control arms, here are Griggs Racing Mustang control arms:

These are their Severe Duty front control arms.

Notice in both cases, they use stock type outer ball joints that are DESIGNED to have those types of loads on them.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea seriously, we need more "serious" tuners and manufacturers to make parts for the our car.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
These are all things I'd like to get to, but startup money, and a dedicated development car are the major holdbacks. But, I'm working pretty hard on the camber plates right now.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
i have found them to be very strong. i have two strong "offs" at racing speeds on track. both destroyed a left front wheel but not the control arms. if i lived in an area that had terrible roads though i would be worried about the heim joint ends. as it is i bought a spare pair for my car that doesnt spend a lot of time on anything but very smooth southern md. roads. that said i strongly agree for the need for more choices in parts. in this case i as weall are was limited in choice. putting together my car was a seriesof fustration and sometimes compromise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts