Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now im leaning towards the fs header any input from anyone?

·
Registered
208 Posts
The FC header made more power when we dynoed them back-to-back on a car with stock heads and cams. It might be a different story at 8,000 rpm with ported heads and big cams though.

Interestingly, the FS header was much louder than the FC.

I will try to get a link up showing the shorty header vs. the two long tubes.

[ 09-30-2002, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: techguy ]

·
Registered
560 Posts
the reason why the FC race header is quiter compared to the FS one.... mainly because FC is a 4-2-1 where FS is a 4-1.
so that the FC one is a bit more restrictive compared to the FS one..
on the other hand.. that's also why FC race header made more mid-range power while FS race header made more high-end power since the FS one needs more air to fill up...
so... with stock engine (or lightly-modded), the FC race header will have a better peak number.
what I think is.. on normal driving.. driving a car with FC race header is better but when u race.. u want more power at the high-end so u need a FS header more...

btw, I have the FS header and it is great..

anyways... these are only my opinion.. if i am wrong.. please correct me!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
They certainly have different designs which would fundamentally lead to gains in different parts of the powerband.
You probably can't go too wrong with either when it comes to overall N/A power goals.

FWIW.....the FS header is a quality piece that delivers what is promised......

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
So technically since my whole power band is now abouve 4000 with my cams.... it would be a better complement to go with teh FC RH?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
So technically since my whole power band is now abouve 4000 with my cams.... it would be a better complement to go with teh FC RH?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">it still depends... if now u are unhappy with your low to mid range power.. then go with FC..
but if your are satisfied with it and want to be a monster
when racing.. get FS..

·
Registered
208 Posts
In our test the FC made more power everywhere. All the way up to redline. Don't get me wrong, the FS header is a high quality piece that made good power gains, but it did not show the top-end gains we were expecting. Perhaps if we had the head and cams to support 8,000 rpm it would be a different story. A supercharger or other power adder that depends more on moving volume than runner tuning effect might also show different results.

I will put a link up to the dyno graphs of the FC, FS and JBA shorty as soon as I can get our webmaster to post them.

ps. We stock all of these products so there is no direct benefit for us to favor one over the other. That is not a sales pitch. I am just ponting out that there is no hidden bias here.

[ 10-01-2002, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: techguy ]

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Originally posted by Pimp27:
Umm.. actually to make signficant power you need RPM.... NA you aren't going to dyno over 170hp with only 7000 rpms.. you need to have more RPM than that to make power..

Eric
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I hope you don't think your stock bottom end is going to hold together for very long at 8,000 RPMs.

We're no longer hindered by the rev limiter on the Focus, but that doesn't mean we're going to pretend that we can go nuts. 7,400-7,500 is more than sufficient.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
i have wonders of y FC has 2 revise their stuff so much...all 4 i've seen, regardless of revision stage, have cracked b4 6mths of service

hmmm...i did use their ORP 4 a about 4-5mths w/o a hiccup though.

-Ult

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
It doesn't make a lot of sense to put a 4 into 1 RACE header on a car with a stock head with stock cams.
I would only recommend doing so, if you know that you are going to be adding other power parts in the future; cams, cam gears, headwork, FI.

And btw, you definitely don't need to rev the car up to 8,000 RPMs to make power. We've got over 500 dyno runs on the shop cars here to back that up.

[ 10-01-2002, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: FocusSportVP ]

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
i have wonders of y FC has 2 revise their stuff so much...all 4 i've seen, regardless of revision stage, have cracked b4 6mths of service

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree! My FC race header was on for less than 2 months and started rusting. Now I think that it's only surface rust and will be replaced but I'm thinking about going the FS route when I get the replacement.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My FC ORP didn't even last two months before it started cracking.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Another thing to consider is that the Dyno tests were done with the cam gears at a certain setting, which might favor the FC race header. I think you MIGHT have gotten different gains if you would have tried to tune the cam gears after installing the FS race header.

What do you think about this?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Originally posted by Jays2000ZX3:
Another thing to consider is that the Dyno tests were done with the cam gears at a certain setting, which might favor the FC race header. I think you MIGHT have gotten different gains if you would have tried to tune the cam gears after installing the FS race header.

What do you think about this?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree..

·
Registered
138 Posts
go with the fc, wider power band plus it makes more power.

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
Hey Don, are we gonna send in our cracked and leaking FC flex pipes together so we can save on shipping???

Anyways, I go FS myself, just a personal performance preferance.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I hope you don't think your stock bottom end is going to hold together for very long at 8,000 RPMs.

We're no longer hindered by the rev limiter on the Focus, but that doesn't mean we're going to pretend that we can go nuts. 7,400-7,500 is more than sufficient.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Focus Central has been running their car to 8200 rpm on the stock bottom end. No problems... I rev mine up to 7300 or 7400, the only problem I have encountered is the clutch not releasing...

Eric

1 - 20 of 40 Posts