Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was just looking at the constructionof the two. I am aware that both are quality peices, but i was wondering if the 4-2-1 or the 4-1 would be better. I also noticed that at the end of th fc header it arcs a little, will this hurt performance any?? JW thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
FC will get you a little more gains but the quality isn't worth it. I would go with the FS one. I currently have the FC header and it's rusting. Another jetter has it and it's cracked. I have heard VERY few problems with the FS units and that will be what I will be replacing my FC header with.

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
I have over 5,000 miles on my FS header and I love it, no problems.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
could go w/the kamikaze as well if u need 2 save some bread...dev's right, i've seen many fc race headers w/discoloration, rust, and/or crackin...ctzx3 has been thru 4 or 5 now, all cracked, others 2 that i know personally that have had 2 have theirs welded up or returned.

-Ult

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Originally posted by zx3ford:
FC will get you a little more gains...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dev, no disrespect, but I believe that is arguable. I've yet to see a test that has "tuned" both headers back to back on the same car with the same dyno.
Also, as I've stated before putting a 4-1 race header on a stock or near stock car will do very little, so the test results will vary depending on conditions and mods.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
I have a question about how much modification you need to make a raceheader really worth it? As has been mention many places a stock vehicle would gain little, but what else would y'all recomend? Would an intake, TB, chip and exhaust be enough to make the race header worthwhile?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
http://www.focaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=010311

this should answer ur question 4 the most part...

...make it worth it...intake, catback, flex, cams, cam sprockets, pullies (optional). what u have would work, just address ur whole exh system. also 2 gain the most that u can, u can tune ur stock cams around the race header, but bank on having more dyno time ready if u get cams. ...beyond that, it'll grow w/u.

-Ult

[ 11-07-2002, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
Originally posted by FocusSportVP:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by zx3ford:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dev, no disrespect, but I believe that is arguable. I've yet to see a test that has "tuned" both headers back to back on the same car with the same dyno.
Also, as I've stated before putting a 4-1 race header on a stock or near stock car will do very little, so the test results will vary depending on conditions and mods.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Send ME one? i already dynoed, the FC, Kamikaze, and have made no changes, you will find the dyno on my website.

[ 11-07-2002, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: CTZX3 ]

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
The only thing wrong with the fs header is that it hangs a little too low. Gotta be really careful with speed bumps and stuff.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Originally posted by CTZX3:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by FocusSportVP:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by zx3ford:
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Send ME one? i already dynoed, the FC, Kamikaze, and have made no changes, you will find the dyno on my website.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Are you talking about sending you one for free?

And for the record the FS race header is only about a half inch lower than the OEM SVT header, so it's not that bad. However, if your car is slammed, then you should definitely be careful.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Originally posted by CTZX3:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by FocusSportVP:
]Are you talking about sending you one for free?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">no, it will be returned.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'll think about it. I've already received a call from a customer that wants to come by to do some dyno testing with a 4-2-1 race header, so I think I'll just take advantage of the situation and handle it myself. I'll keep you in mind if it falls through.

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
My bad Randy. I was just going on the stuff that Naz and I have. No disrespect at all you know that. Can I have a header too?
This will be replacing my rusting unit.

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
...rusting unit...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
dev, u okay man?

-Ult
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No doubt

I think they have a shot for that now,
clears it right up.

·
Registered
400 Posts
also...the rusting/ cracking headers listed above...are more then likely the first and second generation productions by fc...the new one that they are selling appears to be top notch...6k on mine and not a complaint yet

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
soon2b, good 2 hear urs is cool, but sadly, chris (ctzx3) has had all 4 or 5 versions (some the public never had a shot at) and all have come unglued so 2 speak.

-Ult

·
Registered
400 Posts
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
soon2b, good 2 hear urs is cool, but sadly, chris (ctzx3) has had all 4 or 5 versions (some the public never had a shot at) and all have come unglued so 2 speak.

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">argghhh...it better have paid to wait...or well...lets just say that would be ridiclous

·
Registered
518 Posts
Well at any rate the 4-1 design versus 4-2-1 isnt really as infulential as the runner design.. you guys really need to put much longer primaries on these headers... still to short... 32-45 inch depending on rpm range your tuning too

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
heh i had the first gen and it cracked and i have the 2nd gen now and it cracked. ULT thats (2)

I will be getting the NEW Focus Central header in early December that is a new design by a new builder and larger tubes and completly made and welded from Stainless Steel!

and of course this will be dynoed, the moment i get it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts