Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello good people of Focaljet, it seems that my FC Race header has finally bite the big one, it has a crack going all the way around the second collector, well I talked to a cool guy at FC on saturday, and told him my deal. I didnt keep the bolts (like an idiot) from my stock stuff so the only way to get another one, was to pay for the full thing and have them to refund me the money, which I cant do because I dont have the money, so I was thinking about just getting it welded back together how do u people feel about that, will it work just as well or will it reduce some power???

Brian

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Did you utilize the flexpipe bracket when you installed the header? I trying to figure out it its FC product problem or if people are lazy and are not using that bracket correctly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used everything correctly, what are other ways of getting one, a stock setup is such a pain in the butt to put on and then take back off, its a HUGE PAIN, any other alt.????

Brian

·
Registered
122 Posts
Those cool guys at fc screwed me. My first header I had cracked even with the plate bolted to it that bolts to the back of the block. they sent me a new header with better welds and a plate welded to were it cracked last time, and the second one was powder coated and the first one wasn't.

My plate that bolts to the block was cracked so I asked them at fc if I had to put it on. They said no, so I didn't bolt it on.

Well when I had a trans put in my car it satt for a month with out running so when we did finaly start it my header cracked in the same spot. I called fc they said "I remember you, you asked about that plate." I said "yes" and he said "sorry we can't warrenty it unless you used that plate and we know you weren't useing that plate." SO F*** THEM I WELDED IT. It works fine welded.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey EggYolk - I just recently purchased and installed a FC Header and that bracket you're talking about would not bolt up to my header IN ANY WAY. I mean, it was no where near close to installing. I called FC and they told me that issue was corrected on the new headers and that was why my header couldn't fit on that newer header.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
The reason I ask is because some people do not use that bracket correctly. If it is bolted correctly on that piece, the header will move with the engine as you shift - thus giving all the flex pipe the movement to compensate for. If it is not bolted correctly, that header will start absorbing some of the movement of the engine instead of the flex pipe - this is where cracking comes into play. That header, or any header for that matter, is not ment to move. If it starts moving and you're stressing the metal, its going to crack over time.
Now, I understand there is a quality issue sometimes with FC, but FC cannot be the scapegoat for every single one of these headers. We all make mistakes, its only human, so just make sure it was installed how FC intended it to be installed before you cry wolf.

·
TEAM Sponsor
805 Posts
if you just weld it back together, its going to crack again, guaranteed

do whatever you have to do to get a new one from them

try barrowing a stock setup from someone in your area
Grind out the old weld where the crack is....and reweld it. It won't crack then

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
My FC cracked, and I had the lower cat bracket properly installed. But, because I am the second owner(No it wasn't cracked before, and Yes it also had the proper brackets), I doubt I could get them to warranty it.

Al

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
My FC cracked, and I had the lower cat bracket properly installed. But, because I am the second owner(No it wasn't cracked before, and Yes it also had the proper brackets), I doubt I could get them to warranty it.

Al
I could SWEAR you had a FS header

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

Al
He had FC header with FS Flexpipe....

·
Registered
374 Posts
what si weird is I have a gen 1(one of the first run that came from ZED(rip)) and have yet to have it leak, the welds are not very pretty but are still holding...the flexpipe from FC, well thats a different story, but so far I have about 15k on it without any problems

·
Registered
400 Posts
The reason I ask is because some people do not use that bracket correctly. If it is bolted correctly on that piece, the header will move with the engine as you shift - thus giving all the flex pipe the movement to compensate for. If it is not bolted correctly, that header will start absorbing some of the movement of the engine instead of the flex pipe - this is where cracking comes into play. That header, or any header for that matter, is not ment to move. If it starts moving and you're stressing the metal, its going to crack over time.
Now, I understand there is a quality issue sometimes with FC, but FC cannot be the scapegoat for every single one of these headers. We all make mistakes, its only human, so just make sure it was installed how FC intended it to be installed before you cry wolf.

I had a FC header installed (correctly, with the plate) for awhile. It cracked. They replaced it. I went with SVT Headers instead. The quality on the FC piece was less than average. we had to file burs off the flange, the welds were sloppy (and apparently, innefective).

If the FC quality is not to blame, and it's because people aren't using the bracket, why don't we hear complaints about other headers cracking? When was the last time someone complained about a FS Header cracking? Even a Kamikaze or Edelbrock? I don't think it's the plate -- it's FC...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Apparently I'm not aloud to talk about FC and how they suck so I will just saw "pack your bags and start walking to Focussport!"

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
Nah, remember that weekend we went to Chris's house, and took everything off of his car. I got his FC header, and the FS flexpipe(Which also went bad
).
That was the week I ran open headers because I couldn't get the exhaust to mate to the FS flexpipe, so I got pissed and just left it until I could work on it at my shop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts