Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i put my new throttle body on today. that thing is a madman now. it revs so freely and just keeps on going. it really feels nice. it's going to take some getting used to, i peeled tires like four time by accident on the first test drive.

one question for the tech gurus. i put the TPS on the right way (for a manual) and it idles fine (reset the computer as well.) i just get this like high pitched wistling sound at times while driving. it sounds like a leak, but it checked everything ten times over (ok, more like three) and it's all on there right and tight. could there still be a leak? it sounds like it could be a spring or something also. it's real faint, but it's got me a little concerned. let me know.

Nate

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think that is due to the smaller diameter of the idle bypass in the throttle body bore. I restricted the size of mine in my stock throttle body and also get a whistling noise at higher rpm. I think the air rushing past the hole makes a whistle. Kinda sounds like a puny little turbo.

·
Registered
398 Posts
a underdrive puley also does the same effect.
I have the ford racing under drive pulley and after it was installed i noticed a funny whistel sound i let the dealership u-turned and when right back. the service tech said it the design of the pulley the spokes on the pulley catching the air also the gator back belt is noticed to have a pinch of belt wine. Sound cool infact my car never sounded like that until i installed the pulley and belt. It sound so different that 1 guys asked me if it was a Supercharged Focus???? hahaha what a fruit.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by CTZX3:
hey nate, stop by sat i will look at it for ya.

chris
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">can do chris. i've got your MAF as well. i'm going to try RTV on it today, but if that doesn't work we can check it out sat sometime.

Nate

·
Registered
406 Posts
Originally posted by CTZX3:
noooooo dont use anything on it, It will make a mess, I can show you the intake manifold i have from some one trying that ****.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I used RTV on mine. The paper gasket seemed to be rather unreliable to me. I had no problems with making a mess though.

Did you bore the Manifold???

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i swapped back to my stock tb anyway. i'm taking my car in for service on monday for it's bad gas mileage (like 17-20mpg!) and don't need them to blame it on the TB. plus they've given me crap for my mods before and i don't need to hear it. so i'll put it back on once i get the car back. there was definitely a leak in the seal because it's fine with the stock unit, no whistle. i'll get it done right next time.

Nate

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
nate make sure that the throttle blade is opening fully under pedal pressure not just by hand when ur checkin it...mine didnt b/c it was manufactured incorrectly b/c the arm had 2 move on a downward arc 4 it 2 open fully via the throttle cable. this of course cant happen even if u do the gas pedal mod or change cable b/c the throttle cable pulls at a nearly horizontal angle. besides 240 bux 4 throttle response didnt validate it 4 me, hope u have better luck.

-Ult

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can't help with the whistle issue, but I do have a question about installing a new tb. You say you reset the computer after changing tb's. Is that so the system recognizes the new equipment? - and how do you do that? Thanks

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
the system really doesnt recognize the new equipment....it recoginzes a change in air flow. Sometimes after putting on a new part you can get a CEL because the numbers in the ECU dont match up with the numbers being pulled after a part installation, so it thinks there's a problem. I put a volant on my car and didnt reset the computer...no problems...however some people have had to do this. It also helps the ECU to relearn with the new part on quicker....if you just completely restart everything from scratch (thus reseting the computer)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the info, but what exactly is required to reset?? Is it just a matter of disconnecting the battery for a while? Any other details that we need to know?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, my car definitely needed a reset after switching to and from the FC. when i put the stock one back on i didn't reset and when i turned the car on it was really choking. it stalled out within a few seconds of turning the car on. so i reset it and all was cool again.

Nate

·
Registered
307 Posts
whats the gas pedal mod?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Okay, I've asked this on other posts but never got a reply. I'm sure this is a dumb question but how do you reset the computer? It seems everyone says to do this after installing a lot of mods. Is it just unplugging the battery and leaving it for like 30 min? That's the idea I got.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts